1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1943 RR arrived today. My first GI 1911A1 and first 1911A1 period I've ever owned. I'am very pleased with the guns appearance and it certainly looks like its original finish to me. I'd say about 95%+. I will be posting some pictures of the gun and its parts in a day or so when I get a chance as I would like your opinion on the gun if its original or not. The barrel that came with the gun is not, that I know but I have acquired a HS barrel for it in excellant condition. Until I post the pictures I have a couple questions; The thumb safety and hammer are checkered and the mainspring housing is serrated. Is that correct for a 1943 RR? The feed ramp of the pistol appears to be milled and not polished or parked but there seems to be a dark area on the left and right side of the ramp? I will be using DSK's website tonight to do a function test and then I am going to attempt to dis-assemble the gun and give it a good cleaning. I've never taken a 1911 apart before, should I try this myself the first time or should I get someone who's done it before to show me first? I have a Wolf spring kit coming to replace all the springs prior to shooting the gun but its not arrived yet.

On a side note I live in Syracuse NY, birthplace of all Remington Rand's including my pistol and drove over to Dickerson Street where the RR factory was located. Its in a old industrial area on the west side but theres nothing left of the old factory far as I can tell. The streets still there though. I'am doing some more research on RR here in Syracuse and would love to bring my pistol back to the site of the factory(if it still exists)just to make it a round trip for the pistol after all its travels.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Your serrated MSH may be correct. Depends on the serial number range. From mid-1943 or so, serrated was used. Same with the slide stop. Checkered until about mid-'43, then serrated.
What is the serial range of the gun?

·
Administrator
73,387 Posts
Your gun was made at the end of 1943, so a serrated MSH and slide stop would be correct. The MS housing should have 8 vertical ribs, by the way. 7-rib housings were only used on Ithacas and late war Colts. Both the thumb safety and hammer were always checkered on Remington Rands.

As for disassembly, it is simple but I still suggest that you read up on it before attempting it. Not only on my website, but on www.m1911.org and www.sightm1911.com I believe there are detailed disassembly instructions as well.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just field stripped the gun and low and behold the barrel IS proofmarked "P" on the left side and "HS" on the right. The blueing is gone on the barrel hood portion thats exposed in the ejection port of the slide and its gone from most of the rest of the barrel but I think this is the original barrel for this gun. The seller told me the barrel was NOT proof marked. Maybe he did'nt look cause it sure is a HS barrel.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
The previous owner may have put the barrel in because you asked. Normally, I'd expect more remaining finish to be on the barrel, considering you say the gun is about 95% otherwise.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just saw a RR made in the 1940's today at a gun show. It looked to be in 95%+ condition. Asking price was 675. What did you pay for yours? This dealer also had an Ithaca from the same era and that was 675 as well. Which one is more desireable? Is that a good price?

Thanks,
GunNut

·
Administrator
73,387 Posts
That's a VERY good price IF the gun is truly original and in 95% condition. My instincts however tell me the two really weren't as perfect as they looked at first glance. Most folks who sell guns know what GI .45s are going for and will usually overprice, not underprice them. Had they been truly correct they'd likely have been snatched up within the first hour of the show!

As a side note, a dealer at the local gun shop excitedly showed me an Ithaca that he just bought for $750. He wanted me to tell him how original it was. Unfortunately it was a Colt frame with an Ithaca slide, with a mix of Colt, Ithaca, and even Remington Rand small parts. Fortunately he really didn't pay too much for what was otherwise a very nice shooter. It just wasn't a bargain.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 12-09-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts