1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if I'm being annoying guys but I'm just trying to test my knowledge and learn. Here is a link to a Auction Arms Remington Rand which is listed as "carefully restored. It retains virtually 100% of the parkerized finish" Does that mean it was refinished? And is the current price of $1309 way too high for this refinished gun?
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8384582

·
Premium Member
15,713 Posts
Yes, it's restored, and he means it is 100% since the refinish. This is a very good restoration in my view and would be worth at least $750 to me.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
That is a nice restoration. It is a good lesson in what to look for in a refinished pistol. Things like the barrel being parkerized, the small parts the same color as the the pistol(the pins, grip safety, slide stop, hammer are usually darker) and no burnished metal in the ordnance stamp and serial number. The stampings are shallow and no herniated metal in or around them. Also, there are a few dings with finish covering them. The frame and slide are exactly he same color and frequently on an original they are not. Bet the feed ramp is parkerized too. I would know it was a refinish without ever getting it out of the case at a gun show.

·
Premium Member
15,713 Posts
vette said:
That is a nice restoration. It is a good lesson in what to look for in a refinished pistol. Things like the barrel being parkerized, the small parts the same color as the the pistol(the pins, grip safety, slide stop, hammer are usually darker) and no burnished metal in the ordnance stamp and serial number. The stampings are shallow and no herniated metal in or around them. Also, there are a few dings with finish covering them. The frame and slide are exactly he same color and frequently on an original they are not. Bet the feed ramp is parkerized too. I would know it was a refinish without ever getting it out of the case at a gun show.
On the subject pistol, the blued barrel is correct, and on the mid RRs the small parts are often Parkerized and match the frame/slide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts