1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys know of any gunsmiths who know how to restore the original finish on a 1945 remington rand that is all original? I compete with mine and want to get that green parkerized finish redone.

·
Administrator
73,822 Posts
There are folks who can duplicate the original parkerized finish (which wasn't greenish, by the way), but if you shoot it a lot there isn't much point in spending extra dollars to make it look new, only to wear it out again. Bill Adair and Doug Turnbull are noted firearm finish restorers. Otherwise, pretty much any decent gunsmith can offer a simple reparkerizing job that will look close and be functional.

If I'm not mistaken the finish sometimes turned a greenish hue after storage in cosmolene grease. Originally Remington Rands were a sandblasted Du-Lite blue finish, then later a dark grey parkerizing, then the last guns were finished a more light grey color.

BTW I used to have a Remington Rand with an original finish that was a different color on each side of the frame.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
If it is all original, why would you want to make it non-original?
Depending on when it was made in 1945 will determine the color. Late production pistols in 1945 were a slate gray.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DSK thanks for the info!

Johnny P: I hear what you are saying, but as a member of the armed forces I have come to see all of my firearms as tools and not "safe queens". I really enjoy simply using the pistol ,but I don't abuse it. I'm not dismissing the serious collector it's just that I sincerely feel that I enjoy a firearm more if I can shoot it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts