1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Im new to the board and this is my first post here. I've recently found a love for the 1911 style pistols and picked up a Remington Rand I believe. My Question is did RR make guns with out a NO or No before the serial number? I will list some of the marking on the gun maybe someone could help me out. This gun seems to have a few mismatched parts and I'm trying to get it correct.
Thanks!!

Frame markings
United States Property N 1911 A1 U.S. Army
Serial num without No or NO 24172XX
U on the trigger guard top Under A1 on above marking
Looks to be also a 2 on trigger guard under trigger

Other side w/ mag button
Looks to be a 3 or 8 at top of the trigger guard
Also looks to be a FIA stamp under the slide stop. This is an interesting marking because it has been stamped twice, but is very faint in both strikes

·
Administrator
73,785 Posts
On most late Remington Rands I've seen the "NO." was usually very lightly struck. If the pistol has been sandblasted and refinished I can see where it would disappear entirely. If you can post a few photos it would be very helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My camera won't pick up the markings. This pistol has a blued finish should it be parked? That maybe the answer as the STA in states close to where the NO should be is very hard to see. The rest stands out well.

·
Administrator
73,785 Posts
If it's blued you have a refinished weapon for sure. It was originally parkerized.

BTW just for hysterical note, the "NO." was stamped first before the pistols were parkerized. Later when the pistols were inspected and accepted the serial number was applied. As a result the serial number was stamped over the parkerizing, while the "NO." was under the finish. Once accepted they were also stamped with Col. Frank J. Atwood's initials (FJA). On your pistol the stamp bounced as it was struck, which was common.

·
Registered
238 Posts
They did use a blue on rr in 42 ,called du-lite

How ever your gun is a 1945 manufacture date
The “United States Property N 1911 A1 U.S. Army”
Is actually United States Property m 1911 A1 U.S. Army
Not a n ,some stampings are not clear

The “no” is common before serial numbers after 1943 dates

The fia ,should be FJA , Frank J. Atwood

You should have a armorors mark under the mag release ,on the other side you should have a crossed cannon near the back of the frame behind the grip ,this is most common not to be a strong stamp and very faint , your slide should also have a stamp right after the rear sight “p”

Have you stripped it and looked at the barrel??

or the grips?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gun does have a M instead of a N before 1911. Looks like I just mistyped there. That is also a FJA after a closer look. There is also no mark under the mag release, crossed cannons or a P on the slide. It is a RR slide, but this gun just seems to be missing marks here and there. Maybe in the refinish! Its been played with quite a bit. Someone has replaced the grips, hammer, trigger and put in a National Match Colt barrel. I was going to try and get it back to more original, but It might end up being a money pit. Kinda like most guns I own.

·
Administrator
73,785 Posts
There should be a small "P" stamped on the top of the slide ahead of the rear sight, and an identical one stamped right below the mag catch button. And I mean "identical", as the same die was used to make both marks. If you ever see "P" proof marks on anything other than a Colt that are mismatched in size or shape the slide and frame have been switched at some point.

·
Registered
238 Posts
tn1911

you might try remington rand ,on ebay ,i see the parts you need every so often ,look to pay around 300.00 for everything less the keys grips

1 - 9 of 9 Posts