1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Remington Rand Question

Hi all,

Not much of a poster up until this point, but a long time reader for sure. A big thanks to all for the great info and forum.

So I find myself in the market for a WW2 era 1911a1, that's as close to correct as my 2k can get me, to start off my US WW2 small arms collection. So I'm thinking a Remington Rand would be a good entry point. I've been doing a lot of reading and searching on here, but can't seem to find out if ww2 era Remington Rands marked their slides with serial numbers like the Colts. Can someone help a new guy out?

Much appreciated!
ruddyhair

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ruddyhair........welcome to the site, great place to start when you have questions pertaining to 1911/1911A1's. Remington Rand, Ithaca, US&S, and late Colt's DID NOT number their slides with the frame. I don't have a book handy but most 1911 books make reference to about when Colt stopped numbering their slides.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Ruddyhair........welcome to the site, great place to start when you have questions pertaining to 1911/1911A1's. Remington Rand, Ithaca, US&S, and late Colt's DID NOT number their slides with the frame. I don't have a book handy but most 1911 books make reference to about when Colt stopped numbering their slides.
Colt stopped numbering slides about 1138xxx.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Colt stopped numbering slides about 1138xxx.
Keith's number is the best guess we have been able to determine. Numbering began at 710001 but some sources think a few late Transition pistols were numbered making the beginning a few hundred or thousand earlier. I have not seen such an example and suspect the numbers on examples cited were added.? This is the entire extent of factory numbering of slides for M1911 and M1911A1 pistols, only Colts.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Probably help if we knew what state you are in. A shop by me has a nice 2mil SN range Rem Rand.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey mkk41, I'm actually in North Carolina. However, just yesterday I ended up buying a late 1943, early 1944 Remington Rand in near new condition (serial# 1,480xxx) that appears complete. I'll have to post some pics when I get it. Very excited about owning this piece of history.

Ruddyhair

·
Administrator
73,019 Posts
Congrats in advance. We look forward to seeing the pics.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
...I ended up buying a late 1943, early 1944 Remington Rand in near new condition (serial# 1,480xxx) that appears complete. I'll have to post some pics when I get it. Very excited about owning this piece of history.
That's fantastic. Welcome to the club. Look forward to seeing your pics.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought I'd wait and get better pics for everyone after I got the pistol, but looks like everyone want a peek - so I'll post the pics I have of it. Hope I post these pics right. Thanks melter942 for the build date - good to know! :)

ruddyhair

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
Congratulations, ruddyhair. It looks like you hit a home run with that find and purchase. It's a beauty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts