1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this months "Guns" magazine (January '04), there is an article about a short barrel rifle, mainly to discuss the affect of the lenght of the barrel, or lack there of, on the ballistics.

I would liek to build such a rifle. I feel the rifle to start with is a Remington 700 series.

My question, what is the new Remington 710? I saw a 710 at Sports Academy today for $309! That would not be much investment on a rifle I am going to modify a lot.

I own Brownings and not familiar with the Remington line at all.

Anyone have any insight on the 710 and how it differs from the 700 ADL/BDL series. Minly around the action and accuracy.

Thanks,

77Bronc

·
Registered
334 Posts
No personal experience with them but from what I've read and heard it sounds like you get what you pay for with the 710. Don't remember specifics, but overall quality and functioning were the two thing I remember being criticized.

·
Registered
129 Posts
77Bronc, the Model 710 is Remington's attempt to provide a 'value priced' centerfire bolt-action rifle. While it is patterned after the very successful Model 700 there are some very significant differences.

The receiver is described as, "the fiberglass-reinforced nylon receiver insert is blended with Teflon and silicon before molding for continual self-lubrication and ultimately smooth operation." This means they have replaced the normal steel components to save weight & cost.

Also, "the barrel is hydraulically pressed to the receiver for permanent attachment and bedded in the stock." This means the barrel is not threaded into the receiver. There is no physical connection between the barrel & receiver that locks the barrel into position. Remington uses the locking lugs of the bolt on the Model 710 to lock up inside the barrel to hold things in place.
Because of this non-standard method of assembly it would basically be impossible to rebarrel a Model 710.

I believe these design features are why the Model 710 is only offered in either .270 Win. or .30-06 Spfld. A cartridge with 'magnum' pressures would tend to cause premature failure of the receiver & barrel. Just my thoughts

Steve Mace

·
Registered
53 Posts
Before you "jump" on that rifle project, take a look at the Remington LTR (light tactical rifle). The LTR has a 20" fluted barrel, a HS Precision stock, and weighs in at 7 1/2 lbs.
I have had an LTR for a few months, and it's a real shooter for a rifle right off the shelf.
I have shot some sub 1/4" groups at 100 yds, and 1" groups at 300 yds. The gun may be capable of doing more, but that's about the best I can shoot.
I may adjust the trigger, but other than a Leupold 4.5x14 tactical scope, it's just as it came out of the box.
You owe it to yourself to look at one of these rifles before you take on a building project!

·
Registered
900 Posts
77Bronc
If you are looking for a decent receiver to start a project, you might want to cruise the gunshows and keep an eye on the classified ads for a used M700 to start your project with. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy a brand new rifle since you're going to essentially gut the the thing and fit new parts to.

The 710 doesn't sound like the way to go. Another possibility if you are interested might be a Savage-barrel changes are significantly easier due to the threaded locknut set up they use.

Of course, it would be cheaper to buy the rifle you want with the features you desire, but I sure understand the pride in building your own:D

·
Registered
793 Posts
The receiver is described as, "the fiberglass-reinforced nylon receiver insert is blended with Teflon and silicon before molding for continual self-lubrication and ultimately smooth operation." This means they have replaced the normal steel components to save weight & cost.
No, the receiver is steel, it just has polymer inserts so they don't have to machine it as much.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some very good informatiuon guy's thanks for your replies. I have something to start with.

77Bronc

·
Registered
379 Posts
77Bronc, I purchased a Remingon 700 Police short action .223 Rem this week after doing thorough research and having had great input from a number of friends.

Everything I learned about this rifle pointed it to me as a well-crafted and accurate track driver. The 700 Police has a 20" short barrel with a 9" standard twist.

Those friends who schooled me on its virtues are owners of the fine 700 model. All felt it was "the one rifle" they would keep if they had to dispose of their collections.

I put a Leupold Vari-X 2X7 33mm Compact scope on it, a bipod and am ready to go.

Next week, I will know if the Rem 700P is all that people say it is.
If it shoots like it looks, then I have a winner!

I wish you success in your search.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shep,

What you desribed is the rifle I want to build up. I already have a Vari-X II, 3-9, 50mm. I is waiting on a rifle for a home. I will more than likely go for the .308 or maybe a .243.

Thanks for the input.

77Bronc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts