1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a NIB Remmington 870 Marine Magnum. I don't have many rounds through it, but I LOVE this gun. I got the MM since it has many of the features I already wanted (magazine extension, anti-jam kit, etc.).

I really hate the safety. Has anybody used one of the large Wilson Combat safeties? How hard is it to instal?

What else, besides Vang Comp, would you recommend? New Follower? New Magazine spring? Anything?

Thanks,
Billy Ray

·
Registered
721 Posts
Personally, I think your shotgun is ready to go. I don't like comps. You might consider having the forcing cone removed. Gary Groves of Friendly WV does an excellent job at this. As far as the safety goes, I was chastised for using my safety during a defensive handgun/shotgun class. For defense, the shotgun should be kept action closed, dryfired, safety off, mag loaded. When brought into action, simply pump the gun and your index finger is the safety.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have owned a Remington 870 Marine Magnum for around 5 years and it is a reliable rust resistant weapon. IMHO the 870 is the finest shotgun ever made.I bought mine from a County Deputy that need the bucks and I got mine in like new conditon for $175 bucks. What a deal.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Billy Ray,

If you care to have additional shells or different types on hand, consider a side saddle also. One other thing I would put on, this is a personal preference, an Ashley Express fiber optic front sight.

Old hawk. Great web sight.

·
Registered
550 Posts
My 870 is intended for in-the-house use primarily at night. For such use it needs a fore end light to distinguish good guys from bad. A hand held light is just too cumbersome with the shotgun.

Reports on the Vang barrels vary. But the Patternmaster chokes seem to work consistently well. Personally, I find mine patterns fine for indoor use with a cylinder barrel. At seven yards it does 3" groups with 00 tactical buck.

If a fight should go outside, I'll take a .308.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have an 870 Police Magnum. It already had an 18" barrel and mag tube extention. So far, I have added:

Vang Comped and ported barrel, 18"
SureFire 618F foreend
Side Saddle, 6 round

The only thing I still want to do is to add Ghost Ring sights. I have a "jumbo head" safety, but haven't installed it yet--the standard one has been satisfactory for me.

I recommend the Vang Comp barrels very highly. And I absolutely love my SureFire. I got the model with the momentary on and the on/off switch. For home defense, there's nothing better.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I dont know much about the Vang system but it seems like a fine idea. Several years ago I installed a screw in choke on my 18 inch 870 and it worked quite well. As for the safety button, I have used the 870 so long that the factory button is just fine for me.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Look at GTF's pic and that's the ultimate shotgun! If you have a really small or tight quarters then try a folding stock. Just my opinion.

------------------
Have you hugged your 1911 today?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Billy Ray, if you don't mind me asking, what did that stainless steel beauty set you back?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Dear Billy Ray,

Safety head easy to change out, esp. on newer models.

Have Wilson's oversized, it is "O.K"

But, prefer the one made be Choate. It is built up more and sticks out further. It is quite easy to click off, with the base of your trigger finger, even while your finger is already on the trigger ready to fire! (in case you forgot beforehand). Click/ bang, instantaneous, nearly one motion w/ practice.

A better solution than keeping it off safe and empty chamber IMO. Having to rack the slide is noisy, and could take away the element of surprise in certain situations.

Elsworth

[This message has been edited by elsworth (edited 06-13-2001).]

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Skibane,

I paid $400. I just got a flyer from Bachman Pawn & Gun--they're having their summer sale through July and have the Marine Magnum priced at $399.99. By the bye, I believe that it's nickle, not stainless.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
322 Posts
Airborne, thanks for the compliment. I am really happy with it so far.

I actually don't like the safety position on the Mossbergs. The placement of the safety on the Remington is "traditional" and is already second nature to me.

As far as noise from racking is concerned:

Can you imagine being a criminal in a dark house when all of the sudden you are bathed in light and hear the ominous "rack--rack" of a shotgun??? I would piss myself! That is the type of surprise I am going for...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Worth every penny!

You're right about the nickel — Was also recently looking at Winchester's marine model, which I believe is mostly stainless. I remember being surprised that the choice of materials was so different between them. Just personal preferences, I guess!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Old Hawk,

Went to your 870 page and almost blew up my processor when all those extra windows opened up! The second I closed one two more would come up! DESPITE all that, nice directions regarding changing the safety.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ken, How in the world did you install screw in chokes on your cyl. bore barrel??
I've been looking for someone to do the same on my 870 for over a year and no one will touch that. Seriously been to 5 places all said wouldn't try it, and to buy another barrel. TP

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Originally posted by msmith:
As far as the safety goes, I was chastised for using my safety during a defensive handgun/shotgun class. For defense, the shotgun should be kept action closed, dryfired, safety off, mag loaded. When brought into action, simply pump the gun and your index finger is the safety.
No chastening from me, just a different point of view. The notion of going into action with the shotgun in "cruiser ready" is popular in some circles. I don't favor this approach, for the following reasons...

1. It short-changes you one round (this is probably the least important of the reasons).

2. Presenting the piece makes a lot of noise. Much is made about the deterrent advantage of this menacing sound and it might be helpful in some cases. However, in other cases, all it does is audibly announce you as a target.

3. One cannot cycle and fire the shotgun while one's support hand is off the forend (as when opening a door).

4. One cannot easily return the shotgun from an "on target" condition back to a "hunting" condition. That is, suppose you are searching an area and come upon a suspect or a likely hiding spot. You cycle the action of your "cruiser ready" shotgun and cover the suspect/hiding spot. It turns out that this isn't the suspect or that the hiding place is vacant and the search continues. You will have to either go through the tedious process of returning your shotgun to "cruiser ready" OR continue on with a chambered round...a condition that is contrary to all of your "cruiser ready" practice. If a threat pops up, you will probably die while trying to rack the now-locked forend.

4. Last but not least, an empty-chamber "cruiser ready" shotgun can cause some users to be less attentive to muzzle control and safety. After all, they "know" the chamber isn't loaded and are thus lulled into sloppier weapon handling.

In my view, "cruiser ready" is a valid storage condition, but a round should be chambered and the safety applied just as soon as the shotgun is picked up.

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited 06-14-2001).]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts