1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was cleaning my 70 Series Gold Cup today, I got brave and removed the extractor. Glad I did as the extractor and channel were filthy. Strangely enough, for me, I got everything put back together OK, including the @#!**#!! slide stop. My question is how to remove the extractor from a Series 80 Colt with the firing pin safety. How do I do it? Is it as easy as it was on my 70 Series?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Wear safety glasses. Push the firing pin in (towards the barrel) past the firng pin stop with a punch. Push it in as far as it will go, and then push in the firing pin plunger (firing pin safety). While keeping the plunger pushed into the slide, remove pressure from the firing pin. The plunger should now have captured the firing pin in the pushed-in postition.

Remove the firing pin stop. Put your thumb over the firing pin (to stop it from flying out) and push in the plunger. This will release the firing pin. Push the plunger in again, and pull the firing pin/spring assembly out completely. Pry the extractor out of the frame about 1/8". This will allow you to pull the plunger and tiny spring out of the slide. You should now be able to gently pry out the extractor like you would with your series 70.

Reassembly is reverse.

See some good disassembly instructions here.
http://www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm

·
Registered
121 Posts
An excellent book/booklet that guides you through completely detail stripping of both 70 and 880 series 1911s is Wilson's '1911 Auot Maintenance Manual. Color photos accompany every step of disassembly/assembly. Price is $10.50 + shipping. Call the number listed at www.wilsoncombat.com.

This booklet was recommended to me by Shane.

Ditto the experience of the dirty extractor area. I detail-stripped my Para P12 after about 2,000 rounds. The only area that was seriously dirty was the extractor and the tunnel it resides in. Filthy.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shane, thanks for the help! I did what you said, and it worked!
. I even got it all back together, including the !#@*&$#@*@#!! slide stop

1 - 5 of 5 Posts