1911Forum banner

Would you like an XSE with no front cocking serrations?

• YES!

Votes: 57 75.0%
  • No.

Votes: 19 25.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question: Who would like to see an XSE without front cocking serrations?

I'd love one myself, really the only thing keeping me from getting an XSE and turning it into a sort of 1960s repro is the dang front cocking serrations.

Also, can you stick the pony where it belongs, immediately to the right of the main rollmark? ;)

Note to BillD: yes, I know this poll is worthless. :D

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I paid to have them removed on my XSE Commander. They wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so sharp.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I do not like front cocking serrations either, but I do like the National Match rear style serration instead of the straight up and down GI style. I also like the Gold Cup style of slide with the top rib, but do not like the Elliason sight. You know what would make my day
a 70 series with a ribbed serrated top of slide and dovetailed front sight with a buried Bo-mar with a commander hammer, beavertail, and wide Gold Cup trigger, S&A magwell, Brown tactical safety and Brown mag release w/o any MIM or cast internals. Oh yeah and blued slided and hardchrome frame.
That is my order!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Front cocking serrations

Castle, I agree whole heartedly. I dislike the FCS's. I think they take away from the looks and lines of a 1911. John B would have put them on there if they were meant to be. I would seriously look at a XSE without FCS's.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
If you lay an XSE next to a new Series 70, the beauty of the plain slide really jumps out at you. The FCS really looks cheap.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
There's also the matter of the weird pseudo-beavertail GS. Get rid of that, and bead-blast the rounds to a finer grit (I think they look cheap and porous on the stainless), and we're in business.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I would leave them alone, myself, they don't bother me that much. At some point I'll get a XS or XSE Commander and will tolerate them.

It might look interesting to take the FCS and cut them away to get a step treatment, similar to a Browning Hi Power. Then again up at the front of the slide, it might be fun to add a little reverse curve. Purely a styling exercise, but since we're all playing, as dsk says, "Barbie Dress up" with our pistols we might as well try plastic surgery, too.:D

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
I'd like to see the XSE with only the standard GI cut slide serrations and without the front serrations. I'd like to see the old Delta 10mm style Commander hammer and grip safety too. That combined with the cool XSE rollmarks would be fine by me.

Regards,
Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
So many wishes, you would think Xmas is coming....As of right now there are no plans to remove front cocking serrations. I do have some thoughts on how to soften some of the sharp edges on different portions of our guns, we will see were that goes, as always I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
tex_n_cal, you mean like this.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,529 Posts
Do you really think Colt would give up points in the "features" battle? "Everyone" wants a hi-rise beavertail, and front cocking serrations, and Novak sights, and . . .

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RickB said:
Do you really think Colt would give up points in the "features" battle? "Everyone" wants a hi-rise beavertail, and front cocking serrations, and Novak sights, and . . .
Well, the XSE is a "failure" when it comes to matching feature counts, since it doesn't have a beavertail or lo-mount style sights. It still strikes me as kind of pathetic how Colt had to give up on the XS and offer a de-natured sort of bastard child XSE in terms of features. People who want a factory "pseudo-custom" look at it and think Colt is too stupid to deliver a gun with a beavertail and modern sights. Traditionalists think the front cocking serrations, ambi-safety and pseudo-beavertail make it ugly.

None of which means an XSE isn't a good gun per se, just that the combination of features it has is sort of the worst of all possible worlds. It neither fishes nor cuts bait.

·
Registered
745 Posts
My vote is for removing front serrations, I hate them aesthetically and they are a clear and dangerous invitation to beginners for placing their hand near (TOO near!) the muzzle.
Regards, MAXM

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Although I don't particulary care for front serrations, most of the "polls", except for this one, are usually about 50/50 for and against.

I'd keep them on the XSE line since the "goverment" lineup doesn't have them. It's good to offer a choice.

If they altered the roll marks and combined them, Colt would be drawing sales of a higher priced gun(XSE) down to a lower priced one(1991). I think by about $200?
Not good business unless they sell so few XSE's that it doesn't matter.

If Colt ever gets to the point where they can put on a real beavertail, better sights, proper undercut grip, etc, then it would be nice to have the option. The XSE could be their main gun and the goverment would be the low end mil-spec model.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts