1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my FEG PJK HP for a few months now, stock other than adding some more ergonomic grips courtesy of Chuntaro. I have to do some trigger work, but the one I'm really stuck on is whether to remove the magazine safety. I appreciate the history of the design, and would like to leave it stock, but will I really see a substantial improvement with the safety removed-smoother and lighter trigger/ drop free magazines.

Thanks for you help all...:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Depends, what are you going to do with the gun? Range gun, EDC, either way works. If you are going to shot it in an organized compation, it is going to be a real pain. "If you are finished unload and show clear, if clear hammer down and holster." Mag in to drop hammer, mag out and range is clear. Extra maneuver. Pain!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends, what are you going to do with the gun? Range gun, EDC, either way works. If you are going to shot it in an organized compation, it is going to be a real pain. "If you are finished unload and show clear, if clear hammer down and holster." Mag in to drop hammer, mag out and range is clear. Extra maneuver. Pain!
Just for EDC, I have never shot competition, and don't see it happening down the road either :)

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I took mine out and put it back in later. "Why?" they asked. I didn't answer. I'll answer now: I like the feel of the trigger return with the mag disconnect installed. It feels positive and firm. Others wouldn't dream of having it in the gun; I don't care because I shoot for my own enjoyment and no one else's. If I change my mind, I can always take it out again.

Mags still drop free. Trigger is a crisp 5 lbs and it feels just exactly right to me. I'll always prefer my 1911 and AK47 Tapco G2 and M4 Geissele triggers over the BHP trigger, but the BHP trigger is not bad at all.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
GunBug Bit,

That's a good answer. If that's the best answer for YOU, then that's all that counts.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,339 Posts
I took mine out and put it back in later. "Why?" they asked. I didn't answer. I'll answer now: I like the feel of the trigger return with the mag disconnect installed. It feels positive and firm. Others wouldn't dream of having it in the gun; I don't care because I shoot for my own enjoyment and no one else's. If I change my mind, I can always take it out again.

Mags still drop free. Trigger is a crisp 5 lbs and it feels just exactly right to me. I'll always prefer my 1911 and AK47 Tapco G2 and M4 Geissele triggers over the BHP trigger, but the BHP trigger is not bad at all.
I have heard/read that removing the disconnector can make the trigger return mushy. Though I'd prefer the pull weight on my gun to be closer to 4# than 5#, I do like the crispness of the trigger movement, in both directions.
My mags do not consistently drop free. When they're empty, they don't weigh enough to overcome the drag of the disconnector, and when they're full, it appears that they expand enough to create additional drag, and then don't drop, either. I've fiddled with polishing the mag tubes, applying a dry lube, etc., and still no consistent mag ejection.
I have shot my HP extensively in IDPA competition, and while the unloading drill is a bit of a pain, it's possible to plan ahead, have an empty mag available, and as I pocket the mag that came out of the gun, grab the empty mag and lock it in the gun as I move to rack the slide; it's hardly even an "extra" move, but you do have to contend with no standardized range commands to cover the insertion of a mag prior to dropping the hammer, and then removal of the mag from the gun before holstering. It's not a big deal, just something that takes some planning and cooperation.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
There are a lot of folks with Hi Powers that have removed the mag disconnect and are very pleased with the results. I own a "few" Hi Powers and all of them still have it intact. I have done some spring changes(and test extensively for reliability) and stoning of some of the ignition parts and have ended up with an acceptable(to me) trigger pull. Is it 1911-like....no, not at all, but I don't have a problem with that. I own other handguns with worse trigger pulls than my Hi Powers. It is just an individual thing.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Sounds like Coke or Pepsi, Ford or Chevy...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not trying to sway you one way or another, but IDPA does not disqualify you if the magazine disconnect is removed; this is a change from their previous stance of it being a "safety" that could not be altered. I shot for years with it intact. I feel this made me a better shooter due to focus and trigger control. That being said, I have it removed now since I use it as my steel shoot pistol. Stay with it for a while, that way if you do remove it later you can make a viable comparison between the two.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Keep in mind that there were a few different trigger return springs that were/are being used, and this might be "problematic" for you. The Wolffe/Cylinder&Slide spring will be fine with or without the magazine disconnect, as will the stock 2 coil spring (95% of the time, anyways.) However, if you have a stock 3 coil triggerspring, you'll probably have reset issues without the extra help from the magazine disconnect.

Dan

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
The magazine disconnect issue seems to always cause some lively discussion. As some have alluded, issues can be over come with the md parts in place. The plus and minus columns seem to change from one gun to another. I have felt satisfactory triggers with the md in place and unsatisfactory triggers with the md removed. Novak does a modification for drop free magazines with the parts in place. The mousetrap magazine also fixes the bound up magazine problem. I have heard about this trigger reset issue but have not experienced a problem with either the two or three coil spring and magazine disconnect removal. I have some magazine disconnect parts around here in a plastic bag and have some around here still in hi powers. When one does not have such choice available, one has to consider those parts remaining or being deleted on a very personal level.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Not trying to sway you one way or another, but IDPA does not disqualify you if the magazine disconnect is removed; this is a change from their previous stance of it being a "safety" that could not be altered. I shot for years with it intact. I feel this made me a better shooter due to focus and trigger control. That being said, I have it removed now since I use it as my steel shoot pistol. Stay with it for a while, that way if you do remove it later you can make a viable comparison between the two.
I used my BHP in local combat matches with the mag safety removed and was told at IDPA would not go for it.

Now I can try IDPA with my BHP, thanks for the heads up.

For the OP, when I was a young cop the old rangemaster who did the "Autoloader Class" told us that saavy gunfighters would disconnect the mag safety, so I did.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought a really nice 'T' Series sometime back, which had the MD removed. I had it replaced, just for originality sake. I have never shot an HP with the MD removed, so I can't question the good or bad of trigger pull or the mag drop aspects.

I'm big on safety first.....but will admit, the only time it does cross my mind is during/after cleaning and having to install a mag to release the hammer/trigger, when done.

Enjoy what you have Josh !!

Graham.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Keep in mind that there were a few different trigger return springs that were/are being used, and this might be "problematic" for you. The Wolffe/Cylinder&Slide spring will be fine with or without the magazine disconnect, as will the stock 2 coil spring (95% of the time, anyways.) However, if you have a stock 3 coil triggerspring, you'll probably have reset issues without the extra help from the magazine disconnect.

Dan
I'm going to remove mine and try it. I bought my HP new (Mark III) about 20 years ago and haven't done anything to it, didn't shoot it that often, but now I'm getting back into it.
The trigger pull right now is a little over 8 lbs. and I can feel the "gritty" feeling others have described, so I'm gonna start there. My plan is to do the mag-disconnect and do a little polishing of the stock parts, then put it back together and try it. Don't really have the money to send it out right now and I'm pretty confident In can do this myself.

Can somebody explain what is meant by "trigger reset"? I've read about it, and have seen the Wolff extra power trigger spring that is supposed to help solve that problem when you do the MD. Mine has what looks like a 3 coil trigger spring now. If I'm trying to get a lighter trigger pull, it seems like that would make it harder. What about another spring kit for the rest of the gun? Seems I read in one of the stickies that it was recommended to change the hammer spring to a lighter one.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts