1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot about removing the mag safety to get a better trigger feel, how hard is it to do? what is a fair price if I pay to have it done? Joe

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think of it as a magazine "disconnect". To me, there is nothing safe about a firearm that won't fire! May as well have a baton, you'll have a longer reach. Although, I hear where you coming from....

[This message has been edited by JohnnyO (edited 11-14-2001).]

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. Just out of curiosity, can someone document an actual tort case filed against anyone for removing a magazine disconnect in a "good" shooting?

I am not saying that the advice to consider possible repercussions in civil court should not be considered, but I don't see how the rendering of a BHP as "unsafe" as a Colt, SIG-Sauer, Beretta, Glock, HK and other arms without magazine "safeties" is "dangerous."

No doubt this could be used against you in a civil suit for "wrongful death," but I believe one would prevail so long as the disconnect paid no primary role.

In the end, it boils down to what works for the individual.....and I think Ayoob sold alot of articles by bringing this up.

Best.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
TAKE THE STUPID THING OUT. And, from my vast experience gained from watching the People's Court, I would say there is zero legal liability if you do it to your own gun since (by definition) you can not later claim you didn't understand what was being done since you asked to have it done. And, there is no "established standard" that all guns need a magazine safety since the BHP is the only gun I am aware of that ever did. NO WORRIES.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Stephen, A lawyer posted here once a while back. He said, he was either involved and knew of many shooting cases and the customization of a firearm never played into the case. Most don't know enough about firearms to determine if they were modified or not. If it's a good shoot you shouldn't have a problem. If not, your screwed anyway....

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Exactly! A fellow I knew once popped a dude with a modified HP, no mag "safety;" that issue never came up as it was a "good" shooting.

An officer under my command shot a guy twice with a 9mm HP that had no magazine safety. Never an issue, also a good shooting.

Two other officers, not on my shift, 9mm'd a felon to death simply because he shot at them! Their Brownings had no magazine safties, either and one was somewhat customized with S&W adj revolver sights. I personally removed the magazine safety from the other gun.

Best.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Stephen, There ya go! You are the closest to having "hands on" experience than any of us.

As long as we're not talking a 1.5# trigger on a target gun, most mods done these days enhance a weapon's performance, making it easier to hit your intended target.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello, sir. Exactly; one can argue that the very mods that the unscrupulous would use to show how "diabolical" and "kill crazy" we are can be shown to be aids in making accurate shots such that dangerous misses are much more unlikely.

My guns do not have the magazine disconnect and will not, but I have no problems with those who like them such as the poster here who opts to remove magazines when away.

Best.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I agree. Different strokes for different folks....My 2 HP's are expected to go bang (with a round in the chamber) every time I press the trigger, whether the magazine is inserted or not.

They are wonderful guns, though. Aren't they? I held one for years at just about every gun show I went to. Could not believe how nice they felt. Then, finally bought one last year and just loved it. Sent it to Wickmann for his Entry Pkg. It is now one of my favorite weapons. While I was waiting for it to be completed I bought another customized by EGW. It was like a Lays potatoe chip. Could have just one! Both are 9mm. I'm now considering a .40 S&W.

·
Registered
724 Posts
If you remove the mag safety, be sure to save the parts in case you want to sell it later.

That's the only time I would think you might be in danger of gross negligence. But I'm not a lawyer ("Do you feel lucky?"
)

I replaced mine with a C&S aftermarket trigger - it does not have the disconnect feature and improved the trigger pull a bit more than just removing the mag safety only.

The effort to change the whole trigger or just remove the disconnect is the same.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did read that the trigger feel is a little bit mushy at the beginning of its travel after this mod, any comments?
Joe

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Mr Angry: perhaps you got it mixed up? The mushy trigger feel at the start (take up) of trigger travel is CAUSED by the mag safety dragging on the magazine. Once removed, you will have a very crisp take up with a well-defined break point. There is no upside to the damn thing....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by Stephen A. Camp:
Hello. Just out of curiosity, can someone document an actual tort case filed against anyone for removing a magazine disconnect in a "good" shooting?

I think you are probably right (and most would agree) about a "Good" shooting but an AD is where the problem might arise.

PigPen

·
Registered
160 Posts
- - deleted previous post after later noting how long ago last post was on this non-issue - - Pointshoot

·
Registered
106 Posts
I suspect the legal beagles would question, "Would a reasonable person deactivate the magazine disconnect on a Hi-Power?"

It's commonly done. The trigger is pretty much useless with it installed unless you have a trigger job done on it. That's a non-factory modification as well. One could argue that he was so concerned about the wellbeing of innocent bystanders that he deactivated the safety to allow safe operation.

May you all avoid such legal problems by having a troll-free existence.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts