1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My search yielded one result and it was a doozy. Despite the depth it went into, it didn't really answer my question, which is: Is it feasible to remove the Swarz safety parts and shim the gaps in a manner similar to removing the Series 80 hardware from a Colt or clone? I realize that it doesn't make any real difference when it's functioning correctly, but I would still like the option of taking it all out of my target guns. Any knowledge out there on this subject?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The easiest thing to do is just use a series 70 firing pin.

Other than that, take the rear sight off, remove the parts. Take out the plunger that is activated by the grip safety in the frame. OR just file it off flat with the frame and their won't be any need for a spacer. It also keeps the hole filled which would not be the case if you remove the part.

·
Premium Member
20,427 Posts
No need for shims like the Colt Series 80. Only holes left which are easy to clean. The hardest part is removing that rear sight, they are a bear!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, guys. Sounds like it might not be that hard to do after all.

·
Registered
620 Posts
That's the first thing I did with my Pro Carry. Had my 'smith remove the sight and dump out all the parts. Put it back together and then I ground the plunger down flush with the slide so I don't have to worry about it sticking up when re-assembling the pistol. It functions great.

AZ Husker is right... I've never had a sight that fit so tightly. You will need a tool to get it out. Don't try it with a hammer and punch.

The ONLY thing is, there's now an empty hole in your slide that will collect goobers over time. A Q-tip will fit in there perfectly though. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts