1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. I have a Para-Ordinance P14 here with a fixed sight. Supposedly you can adjust it for windage and all that jazz, and it should be easily enough removed. I want to put a different sight on.

It's stuck.

So... Any thoughts on how to get it out? I don't care if I mar or damage the sight. I also got a stake and tried pounding it out. It won't budge at all. Someone mentioned in another thread I found that they used a P500 Universal Sight Tool to mess with stuck sights. This is always an option, but I hesitate to fork over $130.00 for a tool that may not help. This thing is REALLY stuck, and even pounding on it with a seak and hammer a bit harder that I really should isn't helping.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Forget the P500, if its that tight then all you'll do is break the pusher tip. I've had to put slides in a vise between two pieces of wood and use a brass punch and a big hammer to get them out the first time, especially Kimbers. Once I get them out I do a bit of fitting so from then on I can use my P500 to push them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I`ve had a couple of sights that were so tight I had to mill them off. If you have a local gunsmith its a one minute job. You can send it to me and I`ll mill it off for free as long as you pay the shipping.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Did you lubricate the sight dovetail?
I use "Breakfree CLP" and let it set overnight.
Be sure you are "pushing" left to right.
As said, get a bigger hammer/brass punch and protect the slide in a vise.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
Forget the P500, if its that tight then all you'll do is break the pusher tip.
The very first sight I tried to move with my new P500, I broke the pusher tip. Called the mfg and they promptly replaced it at no cost. Got the sight to move by using the next larger size pusher tip.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I`ve had a couple of sights that were so tight I had to mill them off. If you have a local gunsmith its a one minute job. You can send it to me and I`ll mill it off for free as long as you pay the shipping.
Careful there. I'm certain some/many on this forum might potentially disagree. Any established and reputable smith is going to charge appropriately for their time and machine costs - carbide cutting tools aren't cheap and set-up time certainly isn't free. Further, any that don't seem to charge enough, or do it for free, well you know how that goes. Around here, the consensus seems to be that you get what you pay for, and the more you pay the better the work. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts