1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - Went to remove the rear site of my CQB to replace it with a 10-8 U notch. Loosened the set screw and used a sight pusher - I would not budge. - What is the secret it getting it off?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Try letting a little Kroil soak into the dovetail for an hour before trying to move it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK - Went to remove the rear site of my CQB to replace it with a 10-8 U notch. Loosened the set screw and used a sight pusher - I would not budge. - What is the secret it getting it off?
Every one I have taken off have been on there VERY tight and locktite'd as well. Looking at the gun from the rear(normal sighting), the sight comes OUT moving Left to Right. It goes back in using the reverse. I also noticed that each of my rear slide dovetails were cut slightly different. Some were larger than others.

Just make sure you have the set screw all of the way loose before trying to move it. I used the universal P500 jig to do some and borrowed the Meprolight tool for some others. The P500 was really straining to get the first pop of the movement. The Meprolight had no problem at all.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all - I am using the p500 tool and no movement.
I will try your suggestion - maybe find a local pistolsmith with a better tool.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rear sight removal

You could also try heating that area of the slide using a hair dryer on the high setting to loosen up the lock tight. It's safer to use something you can control the heat setting with so you don't get it too hot.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Just a double check that you are moving the set screw in the right direction :confused: ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts