1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of 9mm cases with swaged in primers. Is there an easy way to remove the crimps, or is 9mm so cheap that I should just toss the brass?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Try reloading them first. Depending on the type of reloading equipment and the degree of crimp in the case, it may not be a problem. If, as is likely, it is more trouble than it is worth, I would give the cases to someone with a machine that swages primer pockets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using a 550. The primers get mashed when I try to insert them. The loads still work, but look terrible, and I get nervous forcing them in.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Crimped primer pockets need to be reamed or swaged to move/remove the crimp. Neither method is particularly difficult but both require special tools (reamer or swaging tool). This operation is a pain and unless you have a lot of these cases the best alternative might be to throw them away and get some good quality commercial brass.

(9mm bras is VERY reasonably priced).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Originally posted by Charles:
I'm using a 550. The primers get mashed when I try to insert them. The loads still work, but look terrible, and I get nervous forcing them in.
You should never force a primer to seat. Either swage the pockets or get rid of the brass

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
The crimps need to be removed or the brass given to someone willing to do it.

Reaming is cheap but slower than swaging. You can ream with a chamfering tool, a counter-sink tool for wood screws, or an actual $5 reamer intended for the task. I've yet to see any problems from reaming besides hand cramps.

Swaging is the easiest way to go about it, but the tool from Dillon is fairly expensive unless you plan to swage on a somewhat regular basis. I don't know anything about the RCBS swager.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The RCBS swager works "OK" but it is a little slow and while still much better than reaming, a pain in the neck to do in volume. I recently swaged 500 45's with crimped primer pockets. If they had been 9mm I would have thrown them away. I can always pick up 9mm brass.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I used the RCBS swage die for a while, but got tired of everything falling off the bench because of the constant "rocking." I finally forked over the bucks for the Dillon and I'm glad I did, however, it's not worth the money unless you have quite a bit of military brass to prep.

Good luck,

Eddie

·
Registered
417 Posts
Years ago I got 1k rounds of once-fired .223 mil brass. When the store-bought pocket reamer wore out, I found a correct-size bottom drill bit worked just as well, and lasted longer than the reamer.

·
Super Moderator
7,620 Posts
The easiest way to fix the crimp is to pour the brass in the casefeeder of your new 1050. That or just find once fired commercial brass.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

1 - 10 of 10 Posts