1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been planning on getting some VZ Operators and "modifying" them to fit my Doublestack TCM. But before I do that I had the thought of buying a big square of skateboard tape and making a wrap around grip that also covers the big smooth frontstrap. Being that the RIA doublestack doesn't have cut outs of the frame under the grip I thought it would be easy. Only problem is the upper grip screw bushings stick out where the frame bevels off. The bottom two screws are no problem as the are very near flush. The tops of the top bushing stick out a bit though, and my "custom" skateboard tape grips will bulge out there if I don't remove those bushings. On Colts, Kimbers, etc., there are screwdriver flats to remove the bushings. The RIA, however doesn't have any. The bushings are probably in there pretty good. Put red Loctite on the screws, let it set up, and try to un-screw them, hoping the bushings come out with the screws ? Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I made the bushings fit flush with a Dremel, and checked that the grip screws still threaded in and did not need chasing with a tap, in case I want to put conventional grips on at a later point. I had made a pattern, and checked fit before application.
These $1 "grips" sure aren't as pretty as VZ's, but man do they feel good! I would not want something so raspy on a caliber with recoil, but they should be fine with the .22 TCM round. I like how the wide front strap that was slippery before, now has some grip, and the skateboard tape is so thin, the Rock now feels much more like a singlestack in width.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, they are flush now, but still there if I need to screw grips on. I took the RIA out to the range today with the 9mm barrel in it shot some WWB and then some CorBon 115 gr. +P's, and even in a steel 5" 1911, they have a little bit of recoil. The grip tape was comfortable, so should be no problem with the .22TCM round.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I hope it will be ....forever. Accurate, reliable, penetrates like all get out, holds a lot of rounds, fun to shoot. I can't see any reason not to keep it ....forever. But if I did want to sell it, I would put the crappy black plastic grips back on it and be done with it. Skateboard tape is not ...forever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts