1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything I need to know?

I haven't "played" with one before, and the manual makes no mention of them.

Is the small allen screw on the right side above the dovetail significant?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
The hex head screw on the side of the dovetail is the set screw for the elevation adjustment screw. You need to loosen that set screw and remove the elevation screw. Then you need to lift the tongue to get to the sight set screw. Be careful because there are two springs under the leaf. You will see the set screw to the side of the hole for the elevation screw. Loosen or take it out and then start "drifting" from the left to the right when looking from the back of the gun. Be advised that Kimber sights are in pretty tight so it might take some force to start it moving. Good Luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Bring a mallet.

I did it this weekend. PITA.

The allen screw may be held in with locktite. A bit of heat (soldering iron or blow torch) will help get that screw out.

After that, bang it out from left to right (muzzle away from you). I also tried soaking the sight in WD40 for a while to help it slip free.

I still banged up the sight something fierce. :(

If it's a Series II, there's a spring that will fly out on you. You might as well let it fly and remove that dang safety... ;)

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
I think you'll find the adjustable sight is a bit easier to remove than the fixed sights. lictalon is right, you will encounter the plunger spring under the sight. When I took my sight off, it bent over with the sight as I was drifting and I was able to just pull it out without it springing out to that place where you find them with barefeet in the dark.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks.

I thought I remembered something about a set screw under the elevation leaf, but wanted to make sure.

I'm well acquainted with how tight their fixed rear sights are, having replaced a few with Novak sights.

The whole purpose for removing the rear on this pair of Target IIs is to rid them of the FPS plunger and spring. :D

I do hope these require a bit less force to move, I'll find out tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts