1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Taurus PT1911 is giving me a weird issue. Every once in a while, I'll pull back the hammer only to have it stop at half-cock - and then had to lower it, and play with it, and it would go back to normal.
I tracked this error down to the little allen screw in the top of the hammer, that when turned fully clockwise (with hammer down), locks the gun to where the hammer cannot be pulled back past half cock. Turning the allen screw all the counter clockwise disengages the safety. Somehow, during operating, my safety is "moving" ever so slightly enough to cause the hammer to catch on it (this happens maybe once out of 100 manual hammer cocks.
Anyone know how I can remove this? I don't care if it would leave an open hole in the top of my hammer, if it will make it operate like a standard 1911.
I just found this out tonight, and am fiddling with it as I type this, maybe I'll find an accomplice or another mechanism causing this.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Write to Tarus and see if they will fix it for you. If you are the first owner of the gun, they better (maybe even the second or possibly the third). Manufacturers do not want any negative press on non-working safeties.

·
Registered
226 Posts
When Taurus says lifetime warranty it means lifetime no matter who has possession.. Unless you stole the gun and it was reported stolen.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I purchased the gun new, but the warranty card in the box that was supposed to be filled out and mailed in within 10 days of date of purchase got destroyed (long story, and you probably wouldn't believe me if I told you lol). I did however, go to Taurus' website and enter the SN there...
I wanted to avoid sending it to Taurus, from what I hear, it might take a half a year to get it back! I'd rather make it a plain 1911 style hammer anyways, if at all possible..

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I'd see if I'd be able to swap out the hammer and be rid of that so called safety. Note: in doing so you might void the warranty.

·
Registered
214 Posts
NO, unfortunately you can not just swap out the hammer. There are other issues with the Sear and thumb safety that are connected to that darn "internal lock" mechanism

I was told you practically have to remove all the internal parts to get the pistol to accept and work with "standard" 1911 parts - sorry

JF.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My Taurus PT1911 is giving me a weird issue. Every once in a while, I'll pull back the hammer only to have it stop at half-cock - and then had to lower it, and play with it, and it would go back to normal.
I tracked this error down to the little allen screw in the top of the hammer, that when turned fully clockwise (with hammer down), locks the gun to where the hammer cannot be pulled back past half cock. Turning the allen screw all the counter clockwise disengages the safety. Somehow, during operating, my safety is "moving" ever so slightly enough to cause the hammer to catch on it (this happens maybe once out of 100 manual hammer cocks.
Anyone know how I can remove this? I don't care if it would leave an open hole in the top of my hammer, if it will make it operate like a standard 1911.
I just found this out tonight, and am fiddling with it as I type this, maybe I'll find an accomplice or another mechanism causing this.
Thanks!
You may want to try using blue loctite to just secure the screw in the unlocked position.
Unload the pistol, double check that. Cock the hammer back, place a drop of loctite in the hole in the hammer for the lock and a drop on the hex screw head.(to get loctite to wick down) Turn the screw to lock position and re-apply loctite and turn the screw back to unlock.
Let dry overnight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts