1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the normal drill for removing a standard colt dovetail rear sight. I'm attempting to remove one with a brass drift and the thing refuses to move (going from left to right as advised by ST. Kuhnhausen)
If it will not tap out am I going to have to get a sight pusher?

Tony G.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Tony,
I've had them stuck really bad and have had to resort to the following: Clamp the slide in rubber jaws in a really well mounted vise. Use about a 1/4" or 5/16" steel punch and a 3# brass hammer. Beat the heck out of it taking extreme care not to let the punch slip and ding the slide. Sometimes it will take 4 or 5 strong licks to make it break loose & start moving. Try wrapping the sides of the tip of the punch with monofilament packing tape to avoid marring anything other than the side of the rear sight (which will certainly be damaged). If it still won't move, take it to a qualified gunsmith and ask him ti mill a slot cross ways through the sight almost to the floor of the dovetail to collapse the sight. I've had to do this twice with Para's. Colts have always eventually moved with the bigger hammer method. Good Luck!
John Harrison

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John...
Thats what I was looking for was someone who'd used the "bigger hammer" technique and had it work. The Brass drift is doing a good job of staying on target but I'm going to take your tape wrapping trick to heart and change to a steel punch.

What's maddening about it is I can get it to move the index mark either side of the mark on the slide but no farther.

Tony G.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The trick to getting really tight sights to move is to lock the slide in a heavy vise that is solidly mounted to a heavy bench. Use a couple of thickness of paper between the slide and vies to keep from marring it. Pick out the biggest hammer you got and the biggest flat nosed punch and hit it hard. The fewer blows the better, use some filament tape around the punch if your trying to save the sight. Flimsey vise setups and flimsey punches won't do anything but beat up your pistol and sight. Everything has to be solid so the sight HAS to move. Hope this helps.

JJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts