1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in purchasing a Springfield Armory WWII Mil-Spec, but I confess: I really don't care for the "IMBEL BRAZIL" rollmark on the dust cover. I have nothing against IMBEL or Brazil; it just detracts from the historical essence of the gun, whatever that means. :D

Anyway, here's a close-up of the rollmark:

(photo courtesy of rfurtkamp)

Hopefully the photo gives you a sense of how deep the marks are.

Would it be possible to have a gunsmith grind off this rollmark? Or would it result in an abnormally thin dust cover? Keep in mind that many of these WWII Mil-Specs have "blocky" dust covers to begin with. Of course, the frame would have to be re-parkerized, but I'm planning to have that done anyway.

Thanks. :cool:

·
Registered
262 Posts
you could certainly have this removed - the dust cover is more then thick enough to take it off with no ill effect (I've got one also). Cost of reparkerizing would mean it is probably not worth doing (for me anyway) unless you are doing other work which would require a refinish. Of course, you could always take it off yourself using a pillar file and emery paper and then parkerize it at home as a pretty decent project.

Jared

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Umm.... you do know that deliberately removing manufacturer or importer markings is frowned upon by the ATF, right?

:hrm:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Umm.... you do know that deliberately removing manufacturer or importer markings is frowned upon by the ATF, right?
No, I didn't...have you got a source for that? Not that I don't trust you, but there are a lot of rumors regarding ATF regulations that are often unfounded.

Cost of reparkerizing would mean it is probably not worth doing (for me anyway) unless you are doing other work which would require a refinish.
Yeah, I'm planning some other modifications which will require a new finish, even if I don't have these marks removed.

Thanks for the fast replies, guys. :cool:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
GI,

It appears the state would not be happy either. Here is the verbage from the California Penal Code:
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/pen/12090-12094.html

"MISCELLANEOUS PROHIBITED ACTS
Obliteration or Alteration of Firearm Identification

It is illegal for any person to obliterate or
alter the identification marks placed on any
firearm including the make, model, serial
number or any distinguishing mark lawfully
assigned by the owner or by the Department of
Justice (PC section 12090).

Possession of any pistol or revolver having
its identification obliterated or altered is
presumptive evidence that the possessor
performed the obliteration or alteration (PC
section 12091).

It is illegal for any person to buy, sell or
possess a firearm knowing its identification
has been obliterated or altered (PC section
12094)."

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, AFMan.

Sounds like it might be kind of a gray area... after all, I wouldn't be obliterating the make, model, or serial number. I guess it all depends if the IMBEL BRAZIL stamp is a "distinguishing mark lawfully assigned by the owner or by the Department of Justice." I doubt that it is, since not all Springfields have the stamp, even though all of their slides and frames come from Brazil. Looks like I'll need to e-mail Springfield to find out if the stamp is required by law or by choice. (I bet they are sick of all the Brazil-related questions that they receive! :D )

Thanks again.

·
Registered
511 Posts
What about all the custom SAs that gunsmiths have corrected the dustcover profile to GI? That would remove that mark.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm wondering about the same thing. Simplest answer is to just ask the ATF. I'll post whatever reply I get back.

Jared

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about all the custom SAs that gunsmiths have corrected the dustcover profile to GI? That would remove that mark.
That's what I am hoping for. In fact, I'm now looking for the older, blocky versions of this model, instead of the newer rounded version, so that I can have the dustcover rounded to GI spec and eliminate the stamp at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts