1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Commander brand new last week and on Friday, couldn't wait any longer to shoot it. I was a rainy day, but the range had a covered shelter so I went for it. Now, I'm not sure if it's from the moisture, or from handling, but around the grips, safety, and on top of the slide is a slight rusty discoloration (the gun has a brushed stainless finish). I have rubbed it down twice real good with Shooter's Choice FP-10 oil and it might have helped a little, but I can't get rid of it. What can I do? I can't believe my brand new Colt is already rusty. Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was given a rusty Colt Series 70 and took 00000 steel wool and gun oil to it. Took the red stuff right off. Having it sand blasted and Parkerized presently. Good luck with your gun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I didn't think it should rust that easy either, but it's brand new, they had just got it in a few days before I bought it. I'll try to get a picture uploaded that'll show what I'm talking about if you guys don't mind taking a look and giving opinions as to what's happening.

*Update*
Here's the only picture that shows the rust (or whatever it is). This is the worst spot, notice on the bar above the grip and below the slide that runs between the slide stop and safety.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I sure didn't. The dealer just said after I shot the first time to clean it real good, of course I knew it needed it afterward. Maybe that's where I went wrong.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Bbq

You weren't eating BBQ were you??????????????????????????????????:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Sorry.. Just one Tennessee boy to another...

Like the man says.. a little volatile cleaner and see what happens.. Cheers. Ron

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I'd send it back to Colt and let them make it right.

Good luck, keep us apprised of your progress. :rock:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I took it back to the dealer yesterday and he swore that it's not rust. He said that my hands are too acidic and that's what caused it. He sold me some stuff called Eezox that he promised would help it and prevent any more discoloration. I'm still thinking about contacting Colt, but if this stuff will help, I guess that's good enough.

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Arme, it is common practice because you never know what kinda gunk oil could be sitting in there. Think about old cosmoline. Just because a gun is new in store, means it could have sat there for a year. Always good to clean it to get any old oil/residue out and replace with new oil etc etc. At least for 1911's. Some manufacturers oils seems to get sticky after it sits for a bit.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I have had this same problem once before with used stainless Colt NRM 1911. The gun has surface rust but no pitting. The stuff that worked for me is called G96 Gun Treatment. It is a cleaner, lubricant, and rust preventative. I sprayed some of it on the spots, let it set for a few minutes, and wiped off the offending stuff. Never happened again. I keep some of the G96 around in case something similar happens, but it never has.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts