1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an Edge W/ the recoil master guide rod. I've followed the break down instruction to remove the slide, but it won't come off.:confused:

After removing the slide stop, the slide will move forward to the battery position but won't come off.

Am I supposed to lock the guide rod spring back or something?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
You have a reverse plug in your gun so it is a different take down. You should have a green plastic piece that helps. If you go to Stiguns.com and look at products, recoil master you will see how to use the part. Once it is in place, simply pull the recoil master out the back of the slide.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't get the slide off of the frame to get to the recoil maaster

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
With the slide stop pin in, rack the slide and lock it back. Now insert the green peice of plastic. Allow slide to go forward, pull out slide stop pin. slide should now be free to come completely off.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I release the slide and the green thing pops out.

·
Super Moderator
739 Posts
Make sure you have it on the right way. Big end goes towards the back of the gun. More info here: http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0501.htm

You should also be able to take the slide off before using the retainer. The spring is pushing the recoilmaster head down and rubbing the dust cover you may have to pull a little on the slide to get it to come off and then you can put the retainer on and remove the Recoilmaster. I find that this is easier for me and that is the way I do it.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure you have it on the right way. Big end goes towards the back of the gun. More info here: http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0501.htm

You should also be able to take the slide off before using the retainer. The spring is pushing the recoilmaster head down and rubbing the dust cover you may have to pull a little on the slide to get it to come off and then you can put the retainer on and remove the Recoilmaster. I find that this is easier for me and that is the way I do it.
Well that didn't work. My hands are rubbed raw.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You can install the take down tool with the slide racked back, but you have to hold the slide tensioned to the rear farther than the take down notch. It's easier if you grip the gun with your fingers over the top of the slide like you would if you were breaking down a Glock.
The other way is to remove the slide first, but you still have to hold the slide back to keep tension off of the slide stop. Once you get the slide off, you'll have to use a folded rag or something similar to push the recoil master forward to install the tool, or it can be rather painful.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I release the slide and the green thing pops out.
Also, you'll be able to feel the green tool "snap" in place. Again, you have to hold the slide tensioned far enough for the tool to snap in place..

·
Registered
147 Posts
He he he..:biglaugh:
My first time was a nightmare.
Take the slide off the frame and than compress the spring so you can snap the plastic in.It's going to be a rough go at first, but you will manage.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally got it off. Haven't put it back on yet. I'm contemplating the meaning of life and whether I need this headache.:(

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It really should be a lot easier than a standard, bushing barrel.
Did you manage to capture the spring, before taking the slide off?
If not, I can see why taking it apart won't be your favorite job!!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I managed to get it off the proper way. May put a reverse plug on it for now.

·
Registered
147 Posts
my first time was a real "sob" too. I chopped my fingers up and there was blood all over the damn place.
Remember when you put it together to put the barrel link in the proper position.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I finally got it off. Haven't put it back on yet. I'm contemplating the meaning of life and whether I need this headache.:(
Let me help you out with this problem.. Send me the Edge and I'll break it in and then send it back to you. it will come apart much easier then...

Man, the things a guy is willing to go through to help a fellow gun owner..

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Sure, I'm a big hearted guy.. Or I'll trade you back the P16 I just got from you for those old raggety Edges...:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I never had to take any Tylenol with the Para. I ordered a reverse plug and full length guide rod for the 40. It needs a two piece guide rod with the cone barrel.:grumble:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts