709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted some feed back on this ankle holster. The Pro, and the Cons,
Looking to buy one for my S&W 640.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
We sell a lot of them to LEO and departments. At one point we were going to stop carrying them, but demand brought them back in full force! We stock between 10 and 20 units. They have a loyal following amongst LEO here.

Ohio does not recognize the 2nd Ammendment (no CCW), and Steve and I really didn't personally see the value in these holsters. But, as I mentioned, our customers (LEO) love them.

As to Pros and Cons: Having a BUG is a huge Pro. The biggest Con, would be comfortability, I suppose. You can't wear it on the insde ankle, as you will surely chip bone off of the opposite ankle while walking, etc.

Hopefully someone that uses them can be of more assistance.

Be well!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
They rock...I use one all the time as do two of my friends...can't beat them for the money...you could spend 2 to 3 times as much for a custom molded holster but that only defeats the purpose of an ankle rig...an attached molded holster adds bulk...I can wear this under straight leg boot jens without printing....it does not move at all and the pull through strap holds it very secure but does not need to be undone...just a tug and you are good to go...best 45 bucks I ever spent...if you call them they can also make an offside rig for spare ammo or ID to any configuration you need...

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
dubb-1 said:
You can't wear it on the insde ankle, as you will surely chip bone off of the opposite ankle while walking, etc.

Hopefully someone that uses them can be of more assistance.

Be well!
Actually you can easily wear it on the inside ankle position. I've done it for years and not had a problem with it. My ankle bones are all in one piece.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Thanks, LW. I appreciate you clearing that up for PD! As I have stated, I do not wear the rig, that quote refers to instructions I was given when I asked about Renegade holsters. I knew some folks with firsthand experience would join in sooner or later.

Be well!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
22 years inside left ankle...never ever touched the other ankle with it......but I guess if you were wearing it on on a chain gang it might happen...;)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Renegade

FWIW, I have and wear a 642 in a similar holster you may want to look at. It is called "Apache," and is made by DeSantis. It has the large band of strong elastic that wraps around the leg (with LOTS of velcro) and the holster body itself is made of strong elastic, too, with an extra band at the top. I only mention it because it seems to hold the gun so much closer to my leg than any other type of ankle holster I have tried (4 kinds, I think). I have used a "cheap" version of the same holster made by an off-brand and it wore out within a year or two. The Apache is one of only TWO ankle holsters that I could wear for more than a few hours without it driving me crazy, so I think the elastic system on the Renegade and Apache may be the way to go. I'm thinking the Renegade may be made by DeSantis, also?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've got a Renegade and love it, but a 640 is too heavy for it, to me. It's perfect for an aluminum or titanium snubby (I carry a 342 in it, my 640 is too heavy to be comfortable).

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
JHP...the renegade is made in Arizona by the renegade company, the main difference being a leather pouch instead of elastic...I think Renegade first made them with elastic holster but moved to leather from complaints of the gun wearing through the elastic faster than the leather....either rig should do just fine but I also agree that any ankle rig is much more comfortable with an aluminum or ti...even my old model 60 seemd a tad heavy for all day weat...of course, many here will tell you they cary full weight guns on thier ankles but prolonged carry will make you walk funny and possibly cause back problems.....

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Weight and ankle carry

Definitely, for me at least, one of the lightweight frames is the only one acceptable for ankle carry...at least in this type of gun/holster combo. I don't know if that is true for everyone/every holster, so many different factors come into play on this.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Good point...but a good rule of thumb is if you can sprint a 100 yards without any discomfort and you still have your gun when you stop, then it's a good gun/rig combo....

·
Registered
645 Posts
I wear one on the inside ankle and have never had a problem. If my ankles touched when I walk I would fall over so sufice it to say they never touch. I carry a stainless 2" model 60 in .357 and I don't find it to be too heavy. I think the model 60 weighs 21 ounces and the Renegade holster handles the weight just fine. I have never had back problems after all day use and can't really see how it would ever affect my back.

JMHO,
MadDog :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts