1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I shoot SA 9mm 1911s with trigger pulls in the 3 - 3-1/2 lb range. We rented an EMP as a candidate for HD and perhaps eventual CCW for my wife. While the EMP appears to be a neat little gun and definitely a CCW candidate for someone married to 1911s, it does present some challenges for those used to full-size 1911s.

The biggest challenge is the greater recoil versus a FS. The recoil isn't all that great, but the wood grip is slippery, the front strap needs skateboard tape or checkering and the grip is small. The safety was fine, but we would want to replace with the Harrison Extreme Duty safety on our competition guns.

Our biggest challenge probably related to the Indian, not the arrow (my apologies for a non-PC metaphor). The trigger was quite a bit heavier than what we're used to and all our shooting, matches and range, is steel challenge or similar. It takes patience to manipulate a relatively heavy trigger and keep the sights aligned. That, coupled with some damage my wife has to her left hand, would make the stock EMP pretty difficult.

So, wife didn't like it and I'm committed to an HK P2000 V2 as a carry gun if I ever get a license. The HK trigger probably represents the greatest departure from a 1911 trigger that money can buy, but I'm going to practice until I get competent.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
With respect to the trigger on the HK try Grayguns.

I sent a couple of my HK's to them. Each returned with trigger pull in single action sub 4 lbs with a much reduced reset. I took it to my gunsmith so he could check it out. He said it was the closest thing to a 1911 trigger he had even seen on a non-1911 pistol.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With respect to the trigger on the HK try Grayguns.

I sent a couple of my HK's to them. Each returned with trigger pull in single action sub 4 lbs with a much reduced reset. I took it to my gunsmith so he could check it out. He said it was the closest thing to a 1911 trigger he had even seen on a non-1911 pistol.
I'm going to run 500 rounds or so through the gun and take a CCW class with the stock gun to get it out of the way. If I otherwise like the gun (I really like the way it fits my hand(s)) I'll buy a backup and send the guns one at a time to Grayguns. Basically, I'll wind up with outstanding CCW guns, each for about the cost of the 9mm 1911s that we're shooting in competition.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
all i can think of when i see stuff like this is i almost wish I lived close enough to a place that does this.

I want to try a gun out I either buy it or hope one of my friends has it

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
+1

i'm going to run 500 rounds or so through the gun and take a ccw class with the stock gun to get it out of the way. If i otherwise like the gun (i really like the way it fits my hand(s)) i'll buy a backup and send the guns one at a time to grayguns. Basically, i'll wind up with outstanding ccw guns, each for about the cost of the 9mm 1911s that we're shooting in competition.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Love my EMP. Only thing I don't care for are the night sights. Seemed like the front sight gets lost. I changed out the rear sight to 10-8 performance sight. It has helped quite a bit. One other thing is the trigger, not near as good as my Kimber but tolerable.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I daily carry an EMP and love it. Mine maybe an odd one, but the trigger is great. My safety is extremely positive going on or off as well. I love the thing.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Love my EMP 40. I agree with you concerning the grips, I ended up with a set of VZ grips. I did a trigger job and got my EMP down to 3.75#. It works for me.

I've done trigger jobs on all of my EDC guns, from Springfield to Glocks. I grew up with rifles that had great triggers, I now require the same for my pistols.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
My EMP 40 has been one of my favorite pistols. The trigger is 3 lb 12 oz. I can carry it all day without thinking about the size or weight. My previous carry was an Ultra Carry CDP II.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I too carry an EMP 9 , and I love it . I can carry all day and not mind it. The EMP also is a lot faster out of the holster, and faster to get on target for me. It is very good on head shot's or tight hostage type targets. I did put skate board tape on the fore strap, I think it looks great and really helps the grip. It also feeds everything I put into it[ after a trip to springfield for warranty work] I told them it would not feed some hollow points, and they said send it in. Great service. wimpy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts