1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I can rent the use of a Dillon 650 or 550, with all the bells and whistles and as many dies as needed for a whole $10 per hour. Only catch is I use it at their place and not in my own garage. Seems like a cheap and easy way to go... What do you think??

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Go try it once to see how you like it then go buy your own. I hope this isn't a friend.Where do you live? I'm in SC and you could come learn on my LnL's for free.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
There are many shooting clubs that have dillon equipment available to members.

I think its a great idea!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
A 650 with all the bells and whistles, already setup for your load would load 1000 rounds for $10 pretty easy if you had your primers tubed up when you got there and save you about $2000 in gear.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
So I can rent the use of a Dillon 650 or 550, with all the bells and whistles and as many dies as needed for a whole $10 per hour. Only catch is I use it at their place and not in my own garage. Seems like a cheap and easy way to go... What do you think??
Do you have any experience working with either machine?

On this "rental" deal how are they gonna have all the dies "dialed" in for your calibers and bullets and how you want to flare and seat?

I'd plan on bringing more than 10 bucks.....you might be there awhile.
And I second J's idea about the primer tubes, I'd have at least a dozen pre-loaded and ready to drop.

And lastly, do they offer insurance?
Like if the machine drops a squib on you and you blow up your gun do they cover this?

Might be nice to know......Good Luck :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So...

I just saw the ad at my range...

Local 'business' that let's you rent the machines, they also teach classes.

I'm sure there are not set up, but prob close. They are a 'business' but didn't really think about the insurance/liability. They prob claim you made it not the machine so it's your issue.

Don't think it's something I want to do just an interesting idea I thought I would post.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
What came to mind for me was that you could actually see the machine in action and understand it's operation in detail if you've never handled one and thinking of buying one.

It would be worth the money to be able to watch someone who knew it's function and using it while you watched.
Maybe even putting your hands on it for $10..!!

I would have jumped all over that if I was wanting to see one in action or just running it through it's cycle.

Stores do not offer anything except to "Read The Box"..!:D

The other issues like insurance would apply if actually making ammo and is a good idea to find out.
You know how people are these dayZ........

Don2

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
So...

I just saw the ad at my range...

Local 'business' that let's you rent the machines, they also teach classes.

I'm sure there are not set up, but prob close. They are a 'business' but didn't really think about the insurance/liability. They prob claim you made it not the machine so it's your issue.

Don't think it's something I want to do just an interesting idea I thought I would post.
10-4….Not trying to rain on your parade

The reason I mentioned the insurance thing is because all my life I’ve never seen ANY “rental” operation that maintains the equipment up to the standard it should be.
And I mean everything from carpet cleaners, guns and rent-a-cars to a simple ridge reamer or horse rental.
I’d be surprised in a public rental operation they’d be able to keep all the parts on the damn things much less operating correctly. .

And is this “loading” something that will “go down” in public?
Handloading is not something that is “enhanced” with a crowd.

A public exhibition is one thing, but proper instruction so that you could actually gain something and not be a danger to yourself should be done in private, whether one on one or in a group setting.

While the idea at first may sound “cool” to some, for any one positive thing I try to come up with I keep finding ten reasons why it’s not such a good idea at all.
Like, this is the perfect idiotic play that will get us all regulated….ya real smart.

Remember…..the “cool factor” is how we got Obama

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
The only machine I have that I would be comfortable with someone loading ammunition with it without a 100% understanding on what exactly is going on would be one of the PLC controlled 1050's. I still wouldn't allow them to use it unsupervised and the only way $10 and hour would work is if it were a friend that invested the $10 in beer before he came over to hangout and load some ammo.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Beer and loading.... I can just imaging the crazy stupid 'games' that one could come up with....
Drinking beer and Handloading instruction?
You mean you didn’t hear about this?

If you poke around YouTube you’ll find “The Master Instructor” (My pet name for this moron)

Anyway, he takes you on a video guided tour of his Handloading shop where he “teaches” and performs all his Handloading.
He’s a handsome devil to and wants you to know it because he’s got the camera on himself through most of his little movie.

You get all the familiar swagger because he knows he is the “expert” in all things Handloading.
He proudly shows off his Handloading refrigerator because he states ya have to have some beers to drink while making all his premium Handloads.
I believe his position on this is…..why suffer?

He even pans over to show off his big screen TV….cause you know you can’t perform “expert” Handloading instruction without watching Monday Night Football.
(Never miss a down while stuffing those .300 Weatherby cases full a 7828)

In the end he wants you to know that correct thinking, sound proven disciplines and proven established Handloading protocols are just for us “mere mortals”, not the “expert” Handloading Godheads like himself.

Just amazing……:)

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Beer and loading.... I can just imaging the crazy stupid 'games' that one could come up with....
No that is why I picked thoes specific machines. More like beer and pushing a button.

It's more challenging to figure out what channel the ball game is on.

My point was, if someone doesn't have any idea what they are doing they can mess up a lot of stuff very quickly. Not just components but machines too. I have seen too many people out there than could ruin an anvil with a rubber mallet to rent a reloading machine to one of them, well unless it runs itself.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would do it if I did not have access to a progressive and wanted to try one out before I bought or if I wanted to load a bunch of ammo.

If they are qualified to teach and follow a curriculum published by a loading company or even the NRA then why not, it seems like a great way to learn.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts