1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I picked up a Colt 1911A1 38 Super made in 1955. It was "customized" - aftermarket trigger, hammer, sights, grips, MSH, barrel, grip safety and bushing. Luckily, the "bones" and finish were still original. I have since replaced all the aftermarket parts except the barrel w/ original parts and she looks great. My dilemma is whoever did the customizing drilled a 1/16" hole in the left side of the frame for a set screw which held the grip safety in the "on" position. The hole just bugs me as it's ugly even though it doesn't affect the funstion. I've been debating the best way to fill this hole. Should I have a smith weld a plug in, grind it smooth and re-blue that part of the frame? How about lock-titing a plug instead and re-bluing the plug only? Or leave as is and live with it? I'd love to hear the thoughts of some of the experts on this forum. TIA.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,293 Posts
If the finish is any sort of decent condition, don't do anything that requires refinishing. Where is the hole? Is it threaded?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The finish I would say is about 85%. Yes, the hole is threaded and right behind the left grip. Maybe I should just Locktite the original set screw back in and blue the set screw to "camouflage" the hole?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,293 Posts
Is it a headless screw? If so, how about flattening/polishing/bluing the tip, and installing it backwards, so the slot is on the inside? Or, cut the head off, and slot one end, polishing/bluing the other, and again, installing it backwards?

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
People were doing some pretty stupid things to their 1911 autos back then. I see evidence of their destructive behavior on Gunbroker all the time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it a headless screw? If so, how about flattening/polishing/bluing the tip, and installing it backwards, so the slot is on the inside? Or, cut the head off, and slot one end, polishing/bluing the other, and again, installing it backwards?
It's a headless set screw w/ a hole to insert an allen wrench in. I didn't think about installing the screw in backwards. I'll have to give it a try! Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
People were doing some pretty stupid things to their 1911 autos back then. I see evidence of their destructive behavior on Gunbroker all the time.

Agreed- the extent of customizing I do to my 1911's are install wood grips w/ nice grains or USGI/ Colt plastic (not a fan of rubber/ ivory etc. grips) and maybe a FLGR if there isn't one already. I would never bubba the frame....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts