1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Taurus 1911 to the range last Sunday. After shooting my second magazine, the slide got stuck halfway back (see pic 1). It wouldn't move forward or back. You can see the burnt powder on the brass. A buddy who builds race guns took it apart and discovered a bungle in the barrel. Can only guess a bullet didn't exit the barrel and I fired another round into it. Ammo was factory Speer Lawman 45 auto 230g TMJ. Where is the best place for a replacement barrel?? I bought the gun new and has a total of 125 rounds thru it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,649 Posts
Took my Taurus 1911 to the range last Sunday. After shooting my second magazine, the slide got stuck halfway back (see pic 1). It wouldn't move forward or back. You can see the burnt powder on the brass. A buddy who builds race guns took it apart and discovered a bungle in the barrel. Can only guess a bullet didn't exit the barrel and I fired another round into it. Ammo was factory Speer Lawman 45 auto 230g TMJ. Where is the best place for a replacement barrel?? I bought the gun new and has a total of 125 rounds thru it.
Contact Speer, they will/should replace the barrel or gun as their ammo caused the damage. I've seen this happen at an indoor range with reloads and the company bought new guns.

LOG

·
Registered
15,656 Posts
WOW! You is a lucky man! I can't believe the crap that some of the ammo manufacturers are selling these days. I guess if you carry enough liability insurance and disclaimers then quality control is optional.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Bulged barrel from squib round

To have a barrel get damaged from a factory round is a major pain in the butt and aggravating.

I hope Speer will help you out, but unfortunately, how would you be able to prove their ammo was the culprit? Believe me, I am on your side, but who is to say some nimrod reloader bulges his barrel with his own reload, then cries to Winchester or Remington that their factory rounds caused it?

I knew a shooter that unknowingly left a wadded up cleaning patch in his barrel, then later on fired the gun, and got a nice bulge in the barrel. The only thing that was lucky for him, was the bulge was far enough back that the gun would still function. The barrel bushing would not contact the ring in the barrel. We benchrested the gun for accuracy, and the gun still shot extremely accurately.....go figure!

If you end up having to replace the barrel, call a gunsmith and ask how much to fit a Kart EZ fit barrel. These barrels should require less fitting by the gun smith, since the lower lugs are pre-fitted and the barrel lugs are adjusted for depth by filing on tabs on the upper lugs. This may be less expensive than installing a gunsmith oversized match Kart barrel. Bar Sto, Nowlin, and others all make good barrels, but the Kart match grade EZ fit barrel may be a good option. If you are handy with hand tools and files, you could fit it yourself.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you have to pay to have the barrel installed, why bother with a semi-drop in. Go for either a Wilson drop in type (DIY) or have the gunsmith install his favorite barrel (hard fit).

Briley has an inexpensive .45 barrel too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts