·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are my options for replacing the sights on my TLE? TIA

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
If I was going to change the sights on it, I'd go with the 10-8 sights with the front tritium.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You know there's a whole Kimber forum a little way's down right?
Yeah, but I would think that Gunsmithing includes installing sights... but I could be wrong...
I think he's asking what his options are... I.E., what sights will fit the Kimber cut, what brands/models are good replacements, etc, etc.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was refering to the two Kimber post's next to each other in the gunsmithing forum. I don't consider swapping site's to be gunsmithing, plus there's probably a lot more info on Kimber cut site's in the Kimber forum.

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Changing the sights on a Kimber probably is a gunsmithing ordeal, as Kimber presses the suckers in. Removing them occasionally required cutting a notch in the sight (above the dovetail, from the top down) to remove pressure so they can be removed. If you do it yourself, be mindful of the spring and plunger for the firing pin safety that is retained by the rear sight.

When I swap the sights on mine, I plan on going with either the mentioned 10-8 or Heinie's Ledge straight eights.

Kimber does use a unique to Kimber cut, but everyone makes their sight for it (Novak's, Heinie, 10-8). Pick the one that suits you. If you go the Heinie or Novak's route, you can send your slide to them for the install. Otherwise, you'll likely be better off having a local smith do the job.

Robert

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like a rear sight that gives me a 'BOMAR'-type sight picture, if possible.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Changing the sights on a Kimber probably is a gunsmithing ordeal, as Kimber presses the suckers in. Removing them occasionally required cutting a notch in the sight (above the dovetail, from the top down) to remove pressure so they can be removed. If you do it yourself, be mindful of the spring and plunger for the firing pin safety that is retained by the rear sight.

When I swap the sights on mine, I plan on going with either the mentioned 10-8 or Heinie's Ledge straight eights.

Kimber does use a unique to Kimber cut, but everyone makes their sight for it (Novak's, Heinie, 10-8). Pick the one that suits you. If you go the Heinie or Novak's route, you can send your slide to them for the install. Otherwise, you'll likely be better off having a local smith do the job.

Robert
I've done dozens and have never had a problem. Granted it is easier to change a Colt or a Springfield 1911 sight package, the Kimber Sights are not difficult.

Push out left to right, install right to left. A Meprolight sight pusher with the Kimber pusher works best but a brass punch and mallett will get the job done too. And on the II models, mind the spring for the firing pin stop and don't forget to reinstall it...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now to choose WHICH sight...........:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
I would like a rear sight that gives me a 'BOMAR'-type sight picture, if possible.
Flat, angled back and serrated? Adjustable? BoMar clone? In a fixed sight, a Heinie is going to have a flat (slightly sloped forward) serrated face, as will the 10-8, though the 10-8 has a U notch were as the Heinie is available with a square notch.

Robert

CoastieN70, I've seen several Kimber sights that had to be cut to be removed. They were done by some of the well known gunsmiths on this forum, so I have to assume they had the skills and tools to remove them properly but couldn't without cutting them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts