1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to replace the original adjustable night sights on my TRP Operator. This is a duty weapon and not a weekend range gun.

I'm considering the Heinie Str 8 night sights.

What are some thoughts & suggestions? Pictures if you have them.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I have straight 8s on my duty Glock.

For shooting paper during the day their great. Fast, big tall front sight and wide notch.

For night I noticed I have a tendency to want to make the dots touch, which causes me to shoot low. Of course that's just me.

2 negatives to the design I've noticed.

1. The metal is soft. I seem to pick up a new ding/dent every month. The body of my rear looks like a golf ball almost.

2. The finish seems thin. I have to touch up blue them about every 2 months.

I've head that Heinie has address both these issues by having the sights done in Melonite.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looking to replace the original adjustable night sights on my TRP Operator. This is a duty weapon and not a weekend range gun.

I'm considering the Heinie Str 8 night sights.

What are some thoughts & suggestions? Pictures if you have them.
does heinie even make combat style sights???

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
You have but one choice if you want a fixed sight, fortunately, it's a good choice. Harrison Design & Consulting, LLC makes a replacement fixed sight, you can get it at Brownells in plain black.

As for pics on the gun, Clint Smith did a "Reality Check" column not too long ago with the same gun and the Harrison Design sight. Don't remember how long ago/which issue though.

Robert

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could not recall if Springfield used the LPA cut or the BoMar cut. I was going to check with Springfield on Monday to confirm.

I'd be checking out the Harrison design, thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Sorry about that. Not sure which sight cut is used, now that I think about it, it is likely the BoMar cut. I would call. I remember seeing Clint Smith's TRP Operator with the Harrison sight. Perhaps it was a one-off. I'm going to search through the Gunsmithing section and see what I can find.

Robert

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Okay, Springfield does use the LPA sight on most of its adjustable sighted 1911s, but it seems they use a BoMar cut on the TRP Operator. In this thread, John Harrison confirms the sights on Clint Smith's TRP Operator are his.

Sorry for the confusion and the lack of pics.

Robert

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Robert,

Thanks for the info.

I was leaning towards them being the BoMar cut. I think I'll be calling Harrison for some sights.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Does the Harrison sight work with the stock TRP Operator front sight? I also carry it as my duty gun and would rather have a fixed sight.

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Does the Harrison sight work with the stock TRP Operator front sight? I also carry it as my duty gun and would rather have a fixed sight.
Yes.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Might I suggest the Wilson Combat Pyramid? Especially the boot cut version?

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Might I suggest the Wilson Combat Pyramid? Especially the boot cut version?
The sights you are referring to are fixed sights for a Novak's cut, the OP has the TRP Operator, which uses a BoMar cut adjustable sight. He's looking for a fixed replacement that will work. One has to assume that he doe not want to go through the expense of welding/silver soldering the original sight cut in order to have it milled again for a fixed sight cut.

Robert

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
I totally missed the word "Operator".....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts