1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up the Eclipse and have only put about 200 rds. through it. I have been reading a lot about "factory recommendations" of changing the spring at 800 rds.. Does this ring true as the average or is it like when the eye doctor tells me to throw my disposable contacts away every two weeks whether I need to or not? Also, I need info on how you slicks are changing springs (i.e. heavier) and getting the guide rod back together without injuring the family pet with springs flying around the house at mach speeds. Any and all help is VERY appreciated.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by Mad Ronin:
I just picked up the Eclipse and have only put about 200 rds. through it. I have been reading a lot about "factory recommendations" of changing the spring at 800 rds.. Does this ring true as the average or is it like when the eye doctor tells me to throw my disposable contacts away every two weeks whether I need to or not? Also, I need info on how you slicks are changing springs (i.e. heavier) and getting the guide rod back together without injuring the family pet with springs flying around the house at mach speeds. Any and all help is VERY appreciated.
Welcome to the board! Kimber isn't too far off on the spring replacement advice. I shot my Pro CDP up to 1500 rounds and noticed a big difference in recoil when Kimber replaced my recoil spring for me.

As I understand it:

4" models call for a replacement recoil spring after 800-1000 rounds.

5" models can go 2000-3000. Some guys even go 6000, but I would rather keep a good spring in the gun at all times. It does make a difference and your frame will love you for it too. Mine does!

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Howdy Gargoyle! This whole Kimber thing is new to me- used to carry a Glock. This whole "captured spring" takedown is foriegn. Do you or any of our other compatriots out there have a surefire way to release the spring after takedown- say maybe to add a heavier spring- and then reassemble the whole guide rod before reassembly of the gun? I would like to do this with a minimal amount of screaming and cursing on my part but it doesn't look good.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yea you need that 3erd hand .Do you think when John Browning thought it up one hundred years ago he thought about TAKE DOWN TOOLS.

LIVE FREE OR DIE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts