1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to replace the plastic main spring housing on my Colt S80 Gold cup and would like to get one that doesn't need to be fit. SS is my first choice, also would there be any advantage in getting and arched housing over a flat?

Longone

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Only you can decide if the arched or flat is for you. Should be available that won't need extensive fitting but ya never can tell...
Joe

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
A new or used Colt MSH might *fit the bill* without filing and fitting.
A new MSH from Ed Brown (as one example) will probably need filing and fitting.

Old School = arched MSH + short trigger
New School = flat MSH + long trigger

Hard to find a short trigger for older Gold Cups.

...nothing is set in stone

·
Registered
21,859 Posts
Original school, flat + long.

The mainspring housing bears on the sear spring. A little difference in thickness will change the trigger pull. Just part of the fitting.

I have a couple of guns with Colt plastic mainspring housings installed on purpose to save weight. I think they are more durable than other "composite" MSHs.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Starting to wonder if this is the "snow ball" rolling down the hill. If I change out the MSH for a V grip Wilson or arched the trigger may need to be shorter. As Jim pointed out there is the potential for a trigger weight (pull) change by changing out parts.

I picked up a S&W PC 1911 full size and like the added weight so I was trying to see where weight could be added without making modifications to trigger weight and the way it shoots.

I guess there is always a price to pay.

Thanks, Longone

·
Administrator
73,072 Posts
In my experience Ed Brown's mainspring housings usually drop in to a Colt frame with no fitting. Les Baer housings are made to maximum specs and have fit the Colt frames I've tried but are too large for my new CZ 1911.

Of course Colt sells steel mainspring housings as well, but they're perpetually out of stock.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there anything special about GC trigger that I need to know or will any quality short trigger work?

Longone

·
Registered
857 Posts
Ed Brown main spring housing do not require fitting in a Colt. I've replaced a few with no problem.

·
Registered
21,859 Posts
Is there anything special about GC trigger that I need to know or will any quality short trigger work?
The Colt Gold Cup trigger is much wider than a true 1911's.
You must have a trigger made to fit the wider Gold Cup raceway.

Dlask offers a "medium" but not short trigger.
EGW makes a blank trigger than can be cut to suit.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,150 Posts
I put an arched Ed Brown on my stainless '91, and while it didn't require any fitting for function, it does protrude from the frame just enough to irritate me.
Eventually, I'll file it flush and have all the edges beadblasted to match the original finish.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No body said it was going to be easy, thank you for all your help.

Longone

·
Registered
23,179 Posts
I also put a flat SS EMC MSH in an older SS Commander. Actually the composite MSH that Colt uses does not bother me but this pistol had lived in the bed toolbox of a truck for years covered in grease, oil, etc and the silver composite housing was slightly darker than normal. The EMC housing dropped right in with a good fit. The Wilson trigger took some fitting however.

Dlask used to made a short wide trigger that would fit a GC so there might be some out there such as Ebay or someplace.

By the way the grips on that Commander were ordered off the Colt website years ago. Since I took that picture I put on some black perl grips with silver meds I got from Altamont.

Which reminds me years ago I picked up a used Commander which had an arched composit housing and replaced it with a flat steel one I ordered off the Colt website back when they were selling parts. The Colt one dropped right in and fit perfectly, so if you can get a Colt one through Midway or Brownells then that might be an option. I bought a Colt flat composite one through Midways recently with the thought of replacing the steel one in a Ruger CMD lightweight since it is a way to save another ounce of weight.

·
Registered
12,047 Posts
I've had several from Smith & Alexander and one from Hogue that dropped in with no fitting. The S&A was actually a perfect fit, perfectly flush to the bottom of the frame and nicely aligned directly under the grip safety. The Hogue left a small gap below the grip safety, but is a better machined part than one of my S&A's.

I agree with Dakota1911, the poly housing works fine and is super light weight. I swapped a few of mine out just because I wanted an Arched MSH.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts