1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to up grade the extractor on my full size mil-spec
I was wondering which manufacture is a good choice to go with.
I have no problems with mine now must have close to 1100 rounds threw the gun with no problems what so ever.
I would just like to upgrade and have one for a spare.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Extractor replacement

I have had good luck using extractors by both Wilson and Brown in several SAs that I own. The Wilsons are usually a bit shorter so they fit the rear end of the slide more flush, but both brands work extremely well and don't require much prep work (a little stoning in the right places and maybe a little bending). Good luck! :)

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
I have Ed Brown Hardcore extractors in most of my M1911s, including my Loaded. The extractor is a little long at the rear and can be fitted flush with a little effort. My pistol didn't care so I didn't bother.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
874 Posts
Not knocking you, but why upgrade a part for the sake of upgrading?

If it aint broke dont 'fix' it!:hrm:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just installed a Brown "Hardcore" extractor in my Colt. The edges of the "hook" seem a little more angled and rounded (desirable) than a Wilson "Bulletproof" I have on hand. The rear of the extractor does seem to stick out just a little from the slide, but my stock Colt extractor did too, so no big deal.

The next time I need an extractor, I'll probably order another Brown Hardcore.

Make sure you set the tension on a new extractor. Real easy to do, using what you've already got (your slide and a round of ammo).

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's good when an extractor sticks out a bit at the back of the slide, then you can fit it perfectly flush to your slide. If you buy one that is too short there is nothing you can do about the fit. A lot of people want their guns to look as beautiful as possible so an extractor with a little extra on the end is exactly what most builders are looking for.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I'd opt for the Ed Brown and use it for the spare, as mentioned "if it isn't broken don't fix it".

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question

I just read a post seem the extractor should fit a little tight when going into the slide sleeve and bending the body it will help get the correct tension how true is this statement? now I am not talking about the tension as far as bullet case tension :I find the SA part in my 1911 seem a tad undersized only because the blue color on the extractor is still there showing no wear ;I did install a over size pin stop and removed the sloppy fit from SA had.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts