1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ordering a new set from Heinie with a larger rear notch cut out. I've heard Kimbers are put in very tight. I have brass punches, hammer and vise. Anyone have success this way without having to go to a smith or get a sight pusher? Any tips to replacing the front and rear sight? Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have advise for you. Take it to a smith with a press.

You do NOT want to install Kimber sights with a hammer and a punch. I just had a gunsmith ruin my Stainless II trying to do that.

Cost me a small fortune to have it fixed right. He tried to fix is and messed it up more. Finally gave up and paid someone else to fix it.

·
Registered
Kimber SIS 5"; Guncrafter Industries railed 5"; Doublestar railed 5"
618 Posts
deleted

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
When folks say that Kimber sights are “tight”… that is a vast understatement. I had one pair that I had to mill through the entire sight to get it out of the dovetail… I can only imagine the size of the press that Kimber must use to get these things into position. I think that somewhere along the way, Kimber decided that was a cheaper way than allowing their customer to actually make windage adjustments.

I have done many of my own Kimber sights with a hammer & punch over the years… it was brutal. A few years ago, I invested about $500 in a high quality sight tool that can move even the toughest sight from its dovetail (using the word “invested” for the right tool is the correct word, it is too easy to cause too much damage otherwise).

One thing that I find “ironic” is that the company that makes the only sight tool I’ve ever found strong enough to smoothly move a typical Kimber sight… is made by a company that is owned by Kimber (at least that is my understanding) – so Kimber kind of generates their own business to sell the tool (no, I don’t think that is why they put the sights in so tight… I’m just saying it is ironic).

I completely agree with Webbles… forget the hammer & punch and only take it to a gunsmith that uses the proper sight press – you won’t regret it.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
I've got one of the Meprolight sight pushers Lazurus mentioned. Without the special Kimber insert that pushes directly on the dovetail, I've come across two Kimber rear sights that I couldn't move with it.

No other sight pusher stands a chance. I've broken the B&J sight pusher twice on Kimber sights and the one for a standard 1911 like linked above (I've got one of those also,) won't fit over the fixed Kimber sight. It is intended for GI type sights.

Best bet is to leave it to the pros so if they mess it up, it's on their nickel to fix it.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Best bet is to leave it to the pros so if they mess it up, it's on their nickel to fix it.
My smith has the right tools. He has changed 4 or 5 for me.

·
Banned
1,836 Posts
Why is it that guys figure they can fix everything with a hammer and a screwdriver :rofl:

claire

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Why is it that guys figure they can fix everything with a hammer and a screwdriver :rofl:

claire
… and bailing wire! Hammer, Screwdriver, Duct tape and Bailing wire… the universal repair kit! :rock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts