1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been discussed before, but I can't find one post that states clearly the parts needed for the job:
To my taste the Loaded model comes with two problems, the 2 pieces recoil rod and the ILS in the MSH.

I searched for about 1 hour posts that would give me the factory weights for the recoil spring and mainspring with not much luck. I understand that changing the MSH requires you to change the cap, the cap pin, the MSH spring and did I forget something.

Looking at Wilson parts on their web site they advertise multiple weights but I can't figure out the default one I need: my handgun shots fine, I just want to get rid of that stupid ILS and 2 piece rod.
Thanks for any help you can provide me.

·
Registered
438 Posts
nextstepguy said:
This has been discussed before, but I can't find one post that states clearly the parts needed for the job:
To my taste the Loaded model comes with two problems, the 2 pieces recoil rod and the ILS in the MSH.

I searched for about 1 hour posts that would give me the factory weights for the recoil spring and mainspring with not much luck. I understand that changing the MSH requires you to change the cap, the cap pin, the MSH spring and did I forget something.

Looking at Wilson parts on their web site they advertise multiple weights but I can't figure out the default one I need: my handgun shots fine, I just want to get rid of that stupid ILS and 2 piece rod.
Thanks for any help you can provide me.
Don't worry. I replaced the MSH, and I'm thinking about
replacing the goofy two piece guide rod as well.

For MSH, I bought Wilson checkered MSH and then just bought
Wilson "Factory Plus" parts (R16A, R16B, R16C and R16D). The
standard factory 21 pound main spring is plenty strong for
Springfield.

If you have Wilson catalogue, the Factory Plus parts are
listed on page 44.

EDIT: Main-spring housing I bought is Wilson 92BF. It's nice,
but I'm sure you can get a cheaper main spring housing which
gets the job done just as well.

thanks

Jae

·
Registered
43 Posts
According to their instruction booklet, the factory recoil spring is 16lbs, and the ILS mainspring is 28lbs. The 28lb mainspring is for the ILS to work, so if you were to replace with regular stuff, a 23lb mainspring would probably work.

You should be able to replace the guide rod without problem. GI style should drop in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Parts from Wilson

I called Wilson to order parts this morning. Talked to someone very helpful.

It turns out that the factory recoil spring is 18#. I ordered the same weight with a GI style rod. The mainspring is 24# on the loaded model. I replaced it with a 19# which should work fine according to the person who help me on the phone. One thing to note is that I also needed to get a hammer strut as the one on the Loaded model is too short. Total was $74 with shipping (ooch!)

I have no idea if separating the hammer from the strut is easy or not (pin driven needs to be removed from left or right?) Thanks if you guys did this before and can comment on it.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I believe

the advice on the hammer strut is wrong. You should only have to replace mainspring housing parts.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gee, they screw me up! Glad I don't have to deal with pulling out the strut anyway. Oh well, I've got a replacement strut when mine breaks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Again the info on this board is correct!!!!!! You do not have to, as was stated change the hammer strut. Actually you don`t need to change the ILS housing either unless you want a checkered or arched housing.
If you get a pack of main springs from Wollf with assorted spring weights you can experiment yourself. I have found through trial and error that a 15 lb. spring is not reliable enough to fire every time. This is NOT for a carry weapon also. Try some different weights, you might be surprised at the trigger difference.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Nextstepguy sez:

I called Wilson to order parts this morning. Talked to someone very helpful. It turns out that the factory recoil spring is 18#. I ordered the same weight with a GI style rod. The mainspring is 24# on the loaded model. I replaced it with a 19# which should work fine according to the person who help me on the phone.
This the same guy who told you you needed a new hammer strut ? He was wrong about that. I would be a bit concerned about his advice on the spring weight.

For your sake, please, please, please, only load a single round the first time you drop the hammer on that light mainspring. Then two, if all goes well. Then three.

If you are not having a pistolsmith check engagement on the setup, what is OK with a 27 pound spring might behave differently with a too-light mainspring.

For instance, the one you picked might possibly be too light for reliable ignition, when combined with the extra-power firing pin spring, and lightweight 9 mm titanium firing pin which is standard in an SA Loaded model.

If all goes well and you get past 200 rounds, check the frame for battering- the light mainspring will not retard the slide motion through hammer cock the same as the heavier one would.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yep, you got you an extra strut.:( When I replaced my ILS, I simply emailed www.brownells.com and they sent me the part number to every piece I needed. Everything went together well and worked great. I have always been pleased with Brownells products, tech support, and super fast shipping. (I wished I coulda replied to your question BEFORE you made your purchase.)

Bryan

·
Registered
63 Posts
The two piece guide rod is IMHO unnecessary, heavy, and solves a "problem" that doesn't exist. What it does do is make takedown a PITA, adds weight, and I have heard of problems with them coming apart. That said, here is what I changed:

2 piece guide rod with standard plug and short standard rod
(A $10 mod)

Silly hex grip screws with stainless Wilson regular human screws
(What is the purpose of a hex screw other than to again complicate stripping?)
(a $4 mod)

A piece of 3M noskid tape on the front strap.
(about a 2 cent mod)

The only thing I would THINK about doing would be replacing the mag release with a slightly longer .060 version. But it aint necessary and this is a no frills self defense piece for me. Chances are you'll never get to the second mag anyway, the one on it works fine, AND theres .060 less of a chance that you'll accidently dump a full mag and be left with an expensive club.
(about a $15 mod)

My Parkerized night sighted loaded now kicks a$$ and I can dump them all in a dinner plate at 50 yds. My first SA and a most outstanding piece of gear for the money. No need to fix things that aint broke. BTW, Brownells has everything you need.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My Parkerized night sighted loaded now kicks a$$ and I can dump them all in a dinner plate at 50 yds. My first SA and a most outstanding piece of gear for the money. No need to fix things that aint broke. BTW, Brownells has everything you need.
Can you advise the part # for the standard short rod you got from Brownells? I cant find it.:hrm:

Thanks,
Bryan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts