1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to replace the rear sight on my P14 with a drop in adjustable. I have the Novak style fixed sights, not the "iron" sights like on the older Para's. Last night, I used an allen wrench to unscrew the screw, then figured I'd kind of push the old sight out. No go. Was in way tight. I thought about using a screwdriver to pry the old sight out, but didn't want to scratch the finish.

Any suggestions on how to remove the sight? I guess my first class in gunsmithing 101 didn't go too well! :eek:

Also, I'd like to do some simple replacing of stuff (MSH, mag catch, ambi safety) - not any cutting or machining, so any suggestions on books or videos would be helpful. Am I right to assume a 1911 gunsmithing book would be ok? Or does it have to be Para specific?

I checked the local bookstores, but most of the pics seem real dark.

Thanks for your help!

Any help is appreciated.:)

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I am not aware of any "drop-in" adjustable sights that fit the Para "Novak" cut.

To remove the old sight however, make sure the sight blade is elevated as high as it can go to clear the millwork in the rear of the slide. Then use a brass or nylon punch and place it on the left side of the sight just above the dovetail - not on the body of the sight itself. Give it a few good raps with a hammer. Again, remove it from left to right. The brass may leave some marks on the sight, but they can be removed with copper bore cleaner.

As for replacing some of the easier drop-in parts (which may still require minor fitting), this forum should have lots of good info. Use the "search" function. Also, www.m1911.org has good info.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts