1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point in pistols life do you recommend changing out the sear spring? Is there a round count as with recoil springs?
Second, when it is changed, is it a drop in replacement or does it require fitting? Thanks in advance.

------------------

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
A quality aftermarket spring probably should never wear out. The spring simply is not under that much tension, and doesn't really move that much.

It requires fitting in the sense that it is a key part of trigger pull weight, and directly responsible for the grip safety tension. You will have to slightly bend each arm to get a safe and user friendly set up.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
2,953 Posts
I agree,

unless it is showing signs of wear:

excessively light trigger pull, limp grip safety, disconnector failing to re-engage,

and it can't be adjusted or won't hold adjustment.

I finally retired one a few months back but I think it was "tired" from excessive tinkering and not from use.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
If you can Look for the new colt spring,
the return (disconector) and sear leaf's are thinned a little. Less inertia to deal with and maybe a little more responsive also. Personally I like the deep blued in color springs (colt). Also look out, there was a batch of springs circulating that had the center leaf short, they were around at the shows a year or so ago and caused some grief if you did not know any better.(they were matte in color iirc)

lastly yes the sear spring will directly affect the trigger pull, sear tension trigger return and smartness of the grip safety.
Just like the guys say.
geo ><>

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi there O C! A sear spring can cause you to invent new words. Please don't fool with it unless the gun follows or doubles. There is much more to it than meets the eye.They last forever in a properly fitted pistol. I used to like Jim Clarks 4 finger spring until they shortened one of the legs. He said they still worked great when I called him so I just quit using them. The tension on each leg has to be compatible with the trigger job so I would leave it alone. I don't mess with my own and I have guns out there with 90,000 38 supers thru them that are still on the original spring.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mr. Sample,
Nice to hear from you again. I guess I have about 60,000 more rounds to go to catch up to that 38 Super of yours. Anyway, I appreciate the advice.

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts