1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a Kimber Compact CDP with at least 1200 rounds through it. I've had no malfunctions since doing a bit of work.

The manual says that I ought to replace the recoil spring every 500 rounds. I'm pretty much of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it...and yet the manual says differently.

Is it really necessary to change the spring so often?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
You may be damaging your frame by not replacing springs on time. 500 rounds may be too conservative number, but I usually replace mine at 750-800 rounds. $5 for a new spring is small price to pay for a piece of mind. Replacing the frame will cost you much more.

P.S. BTW, I though Kimber's manual said to replace springs at 750 rounds intervals, not 500, that’s why I do it as often as I do.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My Pro Carry II wouldn't cycle properly with a Shok-buff installed. It caused the slide to "short-stroke" which caused the ammo to nose-dive in the mag instead of going up the feedramp.

Took out the Shok-buff and the problem went away...

They work just fine on my Colt 1991A1, though.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes, the buffs run better in the full size versions. You have to play with the mainspring and recoil springs to get the short guns to work and time right. All the more reason to avoid them on a carry gun.

To solve the problem of the thread, pick up a spring gauge. If the spring hasn't lost more than 2-3 lbs then let it be.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
My manual says every 800 rounds. Just buy some 22# Wolff springs and change them every 800 - 1000 or so depending on the ammo you are shooting.

I'd suggest you forgo the shok-buff route on a 4" pistol. The slide travel is short enough without making it shorter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
rumor has it Kimber uses Wolff springs on compact and pro. 22#s

So I would say either Kimber or Wolff.

I just picked up two Kimber springs becuase it happened to be more convienent this time.

I bet the Wolff is generally more convenient to get for most people.

I would probably follow the 800 rnd suggestion...or even sooner if its a carry gun.

Actually My orginal spring is broken in with about 300 rounds. My other spring serves as my range spring. So basically, I will just replace my range spring every 800 rounds. Limit my use of my carry spring to 400 rounds total. I will probably change my carry spring annually. My old carry springs will become range springs with I can get 400 rounds out of.

Hey....for 6 to 8 bux a spring...who really cares...its a penny a round

1 - 8 of 8 Posts