1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the interest of making it juuuuuuuuust a bit easier on myself to insert the slide stop on reassembly, and getting rid of an MIM part.....I'm looking to purchase another slide stop for my Trojan.

Who am I kidding...I just want to buy something for my gun. LOL. :rock:

On my short list so far:

Wilson Combat Bullet Proof
10-8

.....I've decide to avoid Ed Brown since I've read a few people getting some warped pieces.

Couple of questions. I know the Wilson Combat Bullet Proof comes with a detent that makes reassembly easier and prevents pre-mature lock-back. But does the 10-8 do the same? Does it have the same detent or log mod?

From what I've read...both just drop in. No fitting required (fingers crossed).

Any other brands I should look at? Comments?

Any help or other suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
10-8 has one of the best slide stop on the market. They are the one had has the truest diameter on the pin - 0.20" - which provide a solid lock up on the barrel. And in turn increase accuracy.

And yes, I echo that EB parts are below average.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I have used mostly the Wilson Bullet Proofs when/if I replace a slide stop. The detent to help prevent premature slide lock, followed by the full .200" pin diameter and lifetime guarantee are the main reasons I've used the Wilsons. I've long wondered why all higher end aftermarket slide stops do not incorporate a detent or bevel to alliviate premature slide lock. One of the things about using Wilson, or any of the other slide stops that actually are .200" diameter that I have never seen mentioned, is a potential fitting issue. If you're installing a new slide stop with .200" diameter pin on a closely fitted pistol like, STI, Baer, Dan Wesson and others, the slide may not go into battery without a little fitting of the pin to barrel feet. This happens when the original pin is .197-.198", etc, and the slide stop/barrel feet are closely fitted. For instance,some of my guns, including STI, are so closely fitted that installing a slide stop with .200" pin will not allow the slide to close. I do not consider this a bad thing. I have a lug cutter, etc, and can fit the larger dia. slide stops to compenasate for wear, or because I want a tighter lock up in battery,etc. While the mating of barrel feet to slide stop may not be ideal, guns with a more "relaxed" fit, most factory Colts, etc, will accept the stops with .200" pins without issue...ymmv

BTW, the 10-8 Precision Gen. II slide stops are angled on the rear to help prevent slide lock before the magazine is empty. I'm going to try one of these the next time I buy a new slide stop...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have used mostly the Wilson Bullet Proofs when/if I replace a slide stop. The detent to help prevent premature slide lock, followed by the full .200" pin diameter and lifetime guarantee are the main reasons I've used the Wilsons. I've long wondered why all higher end aftermarket slide stops do not incorporate a detent or bevel to alliviate premature slide lock. One of the things about using Wilson, or any of the other slide stops that actually are .200" diameter that I have never seen mentioned, is a potential fitting issue. If you're installing a new slide stop with .200" diameter pin on a closely fitted pistol like, STI, Baer, Dan Wesson and others, the slide may not go into battery without a little fitting of the pin to barrel feet. This happens when the original pin is .197-.198", etc, and the slide stop/barrel feet are closely fitted. For instance,some of my guns, including STI, are so closely fitted that installing a slide stop with .200" pin will not allow the slide to close. I do not consider this a bad thing. I have a lug cutter, etc, and can fit the larger dia. slide stops to compenasate for wear, or because I want a tighter lock up in battery,etc. While the mating of barrel feet to slide stop may not be ideal, guns with a more "relaxed" fit, most factory Colts, etc, will accept the stops with .200" pins without issue...ymmv

BTW, the 10-8 Precision Gen. II slide stops are angled on the rear to help prevent slide lock before the magazine is empty. I'm going to try one of these the next time I buy a new slide stop...
So the 10-8 slide stops....they really don't NEED the detent since they're already manufactured with the angle?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I have not used the 10-8, but from reading the description, it would appear the angle is included to resist premature slide lock, rather than making the slide stop easier to install. I really don't worry too much about reinstalling the slide stop. Some guns are real easy, some a real stinker to get the slide stop in, like my current Les Baer. Three previous Baers did not have this issue. This doesn't apply to any particular firearm manufacturer or brand of slide stop. I don't know about the 10-8 stops, but the Wilsons, due to the way the bevel is cut horizonatally across the rear face, tend to reinstall easily in my Colts, Dan Wessons, a Springfield,etc. I still have extra Wilson Bullet Proof, Baer, Colt, etc. slide stops so don't "need" anymore right now, but as I say, I'm going to get a 10-8 one of these days just to try...

BTW, For years, I machined a small divot in the rear face of slide stops in a location to hold the stop down and in. Works fine, but doesn't make the stop any easier or harder to install. I saw a photo and noticed that Colt is now machining a similar detent on the slide stop of their new M45 CQB pistol...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gotcha! I also like the idea from what I've read that the .200 slide stop from 10-8 can be fitted for a possible tighter lock-up. I'd imagine that would be the same from any .200 slide stop also.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
In addition to the true pin diameter, another reason I like the 10-8 is their "step" shelf design. It allows me to push up on the slide stop, and lock the slide to the rear. I don't like the traditional convex design on the bottom of most SS

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
Any reason why?
1. They machine everything they make instead of buying it from the actual maker and stamping their name on it. They even sell OEM parts to other companies.

2. George Smith, the owner, has many years of experience building high round count guns for people like Doug Koenig and he knows what works and what doesn't and has learned a trick or two in his time. He is also active and very helpful on this forum.

3. EGW also helps out the gunsmith crowd by making special request runs of parts from time to time.

Some of their parts are designed to be oversized and you need to know what you are doing when you're fitting them, but this should be the case when working on 1911s in any event.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Ken, I absolutely agree about EGW parts, and their customer service is excellent too. I did get one part that I found to be out of spec as I was about to install it. I sent it back, one of the EGW guys promptly called me at home, confirmed it was out of spec, apologized and let me know a proper replacement was already on the way. I certainly did not expect this kind of personalized service since I'm not a gun writer, gunsmith, well know trainer guru, etc, but just an average guy who has bought a few of their parts. Needless to say, I'm even more of an EGW fan now ;-)

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,328 Posts
EGW for me, too. Their HD slide stop definitely is an oversized part that needs fitting. I had to do some contouring and deepening of the slot for the slide stop to rise high enough to completely fill the notch in the slide.
You can get it with a .203" pin, which might be too big; only one of my frames would accept a pin that large.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts