1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front is .320 it has adjustable millet rear but the sight is canted and I cannot get the darn thing zeroed ran out of adjustment when the sight is centered in the dove tail. I got it close by drifting the whole thing over but it looks wrong. I am thinking of replacing it with the millet mark 1 fixed from sarco but I don't know if it with be tall enough. If I had the extra money i would have it welded up and novak cuts done. http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/milletmarkisightcombathioutlineprofilerearwhite.aspx
What do you guys think?

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
I am not certain what to think. The title says rear and your first word is front. I hope the cant is in the front but not the rear. I think knowing what I know about millet adjustable sights; if you replace one end you are going to be replacing the other. If the millet rear is one that sits on the slide in the normal 1911 gi dovetail, the front can not be filed down to make the fixed rear work. The step of the front sight will make the front too wide when you take it down to match the lower rear sight height. I wish I had news of a good cheap fix but I do not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not certain what to think. The title says rear and your first word is front. I hope the cant is in the front but not the rear. I think knowing what I know about millet adjustable sights; if you replace one end you are going to be replacing the other. If the millet rear is one that sits on the slide in the normal 1911 gi dovetail, the front can not be filed down to make the fixed rear work. The step of the front sight will make the front too wide when you take it down to match the lower rear sight height. I wish I had news of a good cheap fix but I do not.
The rear is canted the front is perfectly fine. front sight is .320 I hadnt even though of filing down the front to match

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Is your rear actually canted or is it offset? A canted rear should not not be affecting your poi that much when centered up.

That front looks somewhat lower than millet fronts for adjustable millet rears but it could just be the angle. You say it is .320 and that is about right. Nearly a third of an inch. You would need to go down to a range of say .165-.185 more or less if the rear install now is not deeper than normal. Then you have that step of the front sight base to contend with.

If your rear is really canted, it could have been a less than proper install of the rear. If the less than proper install of the rear is in the slide dovetail as opposed to the sight you will still be dealing with cant. You can measure the depth of the dovetail in the slide on both sides by using the bottom of the slide as a reference point. That will tell you if the cant is in the slide or in the sight.

Now, if the millet install in the rear involved deepening or widening the gi dovetail cut in the slide, the gi fixed millet will be too small. There is also a millet adjustable rear or two that uses a bigger dovetail and your slide could have been opened up. The one I am thinking of is a full .050 bigger than the gi. A fellow had one of those recently on his 1911 pistol.

·
Premium Member
11,664 Posts
I clicked on your pic and blew it up. The rear does appear to be a bit canted when comparing the bottom edge of the blade with the back of the slide and firing pin stop. A better pic would help determine that for sure. The sight appears to be installed in the original dovetail. Sometimes the dovetails are cut improperly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rear blade is canted ,I ordered the other sight but will try to take the sight apart to see if I can fix it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Millet sights are, in my experience, made from pretty soft castings. If the rear was driven in without due care and fitting, it might have began to lift within the dovetail. Since the slide is much harder and sharper, it will "cut" it's own path into the sight body and that will cause the sight to sit at an angle. Removing the rear sight and inspecting it will tell you if this is what happened.

Now for the front sight: It's most likely a "dual crimp" style. Which works well as long as it was installed properly (which means centered and level). Because of the modification required to the slide, these are not easily replaced with a different brand or style. The good news is that if you end up replacing the rear with something more conventional, then the front can be filed or machined down to match. The red (orange?) paint that Millet puts on those sights is quite durable (I've seen it survive sandblasting) and should remain intact as long as you're careful.

If the front sight is a "staked-on" style (Millet made both types), then it can simply be removed and replaced.

Good luck.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Fairly certain the tall front was only available as dual crimp and silver solder. In low fronts they had some single tenon. I think he has inspected his and determined he has the dual tenon due to his reference to the Novak weld up option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts