1911Forum banner

Report from Rock Island Auction - They had some nice ones!

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  LDog 
#1 ·
I went to the Rock Island Auction this weekend and thought I would post a quick report. As many of you probably know, there were approximately fifty M1911 and M1911A1s in this auction, almost all in the upper end of the condition range. It was worth the trip just to see these up close.
Prices for high condition guns are super strong, roughly 50-60% higher than a year ago. I watched a near mint '43 GHD sell for $6325 (including buyer's premium), saw a very nice 1.2K GHD with a G marked replacement barrel sell for $6900, and then watched a really nice black army M1911 sell for $9200.
Those values are before sales tax, so it appears people are not considering tax in their bid. I would assume those buyers have a sales tax exemption because otherwise there is another 8.5% that will be added.
So, if you own an original pistol in high condition, it's worth a bunch more than you paid for it. That's a good thing, right?

#2 ·
It's a good thing if you already own one or a couple, not so good of a thing if you want to buy one. One downside is that it knocks a lot of the buying public right out of contention and at some point, will limit the collecting market. I know that I am pretty close to being completely out of the USGI purchasing market, sure I look but then I just shake my head, tuck the moth eaten $20's back into my wallet, and walk away.

#3 ·
Those prices are insane. If they continue and become indicative of the market then this will pass into becoming a rich man's hobby, just like with machine guns.

Reactions: filson
#4 ·
#5 ·
An additional 8.5% for the vampires running the state? What have they ever contributed to gun owners/buyers? Nothing, nada, zilch! Why not move the auction to a state that supports gun rights and lower taxes.
Those are some crazy/good/bad prices for sellers. Not so good for buyers. Still a collectible gets what the market will pay. I am happy for the sellers. I also empathize with those locked out because of the high prices.
I don’t however, begrudge anyone for having something of value to someone else. What I do have a problem with is scum-sucking tax collectors. Get rid of the leeches.

#6 ·
An additional 8.5% for the vampires running the state? What have they ever contributed to gun owners/buyers? Nothing, nada, zilch! Why not move the auction to a state that supports gun rights and lower taxes.
Those are some crazy/good/bad prices for sellers. Not so good for buyers. Still a collectible gets what the market will pay. I am happy for the sellers. I also empathize with those locked out because of the high prices.
I don’t however, begrudge anyone for having something of value to someone else. What I do have a problem with is scum-sucking tax collectors. Get rid of the leeches.
New Hampshire has NO sales tax. Currently Amoskeag Auction Co. is the only Collectable auction house in NH.
The other states that have no sales tax: There are 5 states in the U.S. with no sales tax - New Hampshire, Oregon, Alaska, Delaware and Montana.

There was a time when most gun collectors were mainly concerned with collecting guns. Today much of the purchases are "speculators" and "Investors" who are trying to put their money into something that will avoid the heartbreak of inflation by putting their millions into something of real value.
Best Karl

#10 ·
Karl is right, a lot of what's fueling the high prices for collectible guns is investors looking to put their money into something else besides gold, stocks, or any of the other usual assets. Look at the prices of vintage cars as well, they're also through the roof. These people are not smart shoppers and they aren't aware that the usual street price for a mint '43 GHD is only around $3000 or so.

#12 ·
All I know is that I would never be able to afford my current collection, small as it is. Those of you with a few dozen pistols in your collection are sitting on a gold mine.

#20 ·
Inflation has reared it's ugly head, heard today food inflation was running above 5%. When the panic hits people start gobbling up land and other items they think will survive. Gun people whether knowledgeable or not whether investment savvy or totally ignorant we dive right in.

This time it is even more up in the air, with the anti-gun president and ammo shortage, the gun guys suddenly want to latch onto anything we can, so we are likely to pay more more than a true value for a collection piece. That said once market values o f things are set, they do not come back down. Point being whatever was paid is the new value.

Seems to me.

l

#21 ·
p
Inflation has reared it's ugly head, heard today food inflation was running above 5%. When the panic hits people start gobbling up land and other items they think will survive. Gun people whether knowledgeable or not whether investment savvy or totally ignorant we dive right in.

This time it is even more up in the air, with the anti-gun president and ammo shortage, the gun guys suddenly want to latch onto anything we can, so we are likely to pay more more than a true value for a collection piece. That said once market values o f things are set, they do not come back down. Point being whatever was paid is the new value.
Well said and true for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.