1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 5 new Colt blued Government Models (new roll marks, barrel throats, etc). I thought I’d share my initial impressions, prep work, functional performance and plans.

2 will be upgraded for Carry / Combat Matches…. The other 3 will be house guns / extras.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS / COSMETICS:

= All 5 Guns looked good, straight blend lines, good finish, etc. (very consistent)
= Slide flats uniformly ground, not what you’d call polished (but look fairly attractive)
= Frame finish is matte blue
= No porosity apparent in the external cast parts
= New roll marks are a big improvement over the large “1991A1”
= No dings or scratches (these guns were straight from the distributor, not “counter guns”)
= Sights were centered and straight
= Slide and barrel fits are all impressive, nice and tight… maybe even a little too tight (smile)
= Rail and Lug contact looks good, not just high spot tightness.
= All the guns have the new barrel throating, with nice gap between barrel and feed ramp
= Out of the box triggers were OK, fairly clean for factory series 80 guns

INITIAL BENCH WORK

Barrel / Slide units:
= All I did was carefully hand polish the chambers, barrel throats, frame feedramps, and breach faces a tad
with 1500grit-emery cloth, followed by “red rouge” polishing compound.
= Checked / fine-tuned extractor tension, they were pretty good out of the box. I just polished a bit with
the 1500-grit cloth.
= Coated / brushed bores with Wilson oil (I find it helps minimize barrel fouling)
= Replaced recoil springs with 18.5 Wolff's and installed the Ed Brown shock buffs (and HD firing pin
springs)

Frame units:
= Polished the mag wells to remove burrs around the trigger grooves, etc.
= Polished all surfaces of the series 80 parts (especially the bearing surfaces)
= Completely striped and polished appropriate surfaces of internals… trigger bows, disconnectors, etc…..
= Installed Videki triggers and Baer steel main spring housings (sorry, I just can’t handle the plastic)

I Then……
= Lubed and assembled with Wilson oil and grease
= Hand cycled with dummy ammo (Hornaday 230 XTP’s) and both Metalform and Wilson mags….. All 5
functioned smooth as silk ! I felt very good about these guns at this point ….

AT THE RANGE

Ammo
= Winchester white box FMJ
= My target handloads = Rainier 200 SWC @ ~ 850
= My serious use handloads = Hornaday 230 XTP @ ~ 880

Magazines
= 12 Wilson 47Ds
= 12 Metalform 7rd, with rounded followers
(All mags stock with the exception of polishing the interior of the feed lips)

Functional Performance
= Surprisingly all sights were acceptably regulated to point of impact at 20 yds with the FMJ’s, (but I did
tap 2 of them a hair horizontally to get them right on).
= NO FAILURES to feed, or eject, or lock slide back (I put about 250 rds each through 2 of the guns I’ll
be relying on now…… and only about 50 through the other 3 that will be just put in the safe for now)

WHAT’S NEXT ?

Phase 2:
= Replace all critical parts in all 5 guns that are MIM / Cast. (You know the list….)
= Install Wolff springs throughout
= Find 5 sets of select wood grips

Phase 3:
= Send 2 guns off for modifications: (Beavers, Hammers/Trigger Work, Low-Mount Bomars,
De-horn/Hard Chrome, etc., etc.)
= Remaining 3 backup / house guns: Complete Reliability Testing

Molon Labe - Roverman

[This message has been edited by Roverman (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Perfect Roverman, you da man. I recently purchased a new rollmarked Colt blued model and replaced the MSH with an arched steel one from Wilson and the trigger with a short Videcki trigger. It's on it's way now to Wilson Combat for a high ride beavertail and armor tuff coating. I liked the fit and feel so much that I've ordered 4 more from the dealer I purchased the first one from. I ordered consecutive serial numbers and he will have them in within the week. Now, I went to the State Police to obtain a Multiple Handgun Purchase Permit as I live in Virginia, received approval within 4 hours and now I'm anxiously awaiting their delivery, it's a pain here to have to ask permission to buy more than one gun from a dealer, but you live with what you have to live with.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Okay, screw the pics! Who needs to see the new rollmarks anyhow? I mean, WE'VE ONLY BEEN WAITING FOR PICS FOR LIKE A MONTH OR SO.

We didn't even have to wait this long for pics of the Repro!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Boy!! talk about stealing my thunder,,,,I just recieved my new Defender and was gonna tell everyone about it,,how I had to wait till Friday to shoot it, how great it looks and feels so natural in my hand, and how I plan on replacing the trigger,, and how I can't wait for Friday,,,,and how much lighter is is then that crappy old Llama I had,,and how it "points" so well,,and,,,and,, Oh hell!! enjoy your guns there Roverman.

[This message has been edited by 173abn (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Robb,
The roll mark is rolled on, ala pressed into the metal to make the desired impressions on the slide etc. The "Pony" is also rolled on.

Hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts