1911Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Altamont makes some nice grips for the BHP. I just installed these from them and think they're quite handsome. Original grips were Pachs and they were much too thick. These are thinner and provide great purchase
First thing I did when I got my Practical model back in '07 was buy new grips.

With the double stack mag well, the grip is wide to begin with, add the Pachamyr grips to the equation and it feels ridiculous. I know this is a subjective matter, but just my opinion.

Incidentally, I have big paws, so the preference towards low profile Navidrex grips has nothing to do with small hands in my case, I just like the way they feel.

Interesting, when I first got into guns 25 years ago, I loved Pachamyr grips, now I can't stand them. :eek:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Navidrex grips

This thread has piqued my interest in the Navidrex grips. I recently installed these Herretts on my Sport model. They look nice but really thick. I gather from reading here that the Navidrex will be substantially thinner ? Has any one compared the two ? :)

·
Banned
269 Posts
I gather from reading here that the Navidrex will be substantially thinner ? Has any one compared the two ? :)

Navidrex and Herrett are on opposite sides of the Hi Power grip thickness spectrum. Navidrex are the thinnest grips you can buy and Herretts are about the thickest.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Grips

Navidrex and Herrett are on opposite sides of the Hi Power grip thickness spectrum. Navidrex are the thinnest grips you can buy and Herretts are about the thickest.
Thank you, Sir , for your info. I have just ordered a pair of the "black micarta thin grips" from Brownells:)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Navidrex also makes a thin Teak wood grip. It looks pretty nondescript when you first look at it, but a couple of thick applications of boiled linseed oil on both sides (each coat allowed to sit for a few days to be absorbed) produced some very nice looking stocks...

FWIW

Chuck

·
Banned
269 Posts
Let us know how you like them. VZ grips are a little bit thicker than Navidrex, but not by much. I've read that Hogue wood is about as thick as VZs, but it's been years since I've shot them on a friend's gun. They weren't thick though.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Looks like the silver chrome

I love the grips shown on my BHP Practical model which I purchased from Browning back in 2007. They're cheap, made of plastic, but have a nice checkering to them and are very thin.

I also have a T-series Hi-Power in blue that I want to put the same grips on. I ordered a set from the factory recently using the exact same part number and they sent me different grips. I called them and they said they must have changed the grip styling, which I find kind of strange, cause they're assigned to the same part number.

Anyway, does anyone happen to know where I can find the grips shown on my Practical model?

Shown below my pistol are the grips they sent me.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
finish to me. I had one in the older Satin Nickel...I have one in Nickel now that looks close to chrome.
As to the grips I would suggest looking at either Ebay or Gunbroker. I'm pretty certain you can find what you want on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Uncle-Mikes-Craig-Spegel-Browning-Hi-Power-Grips-59508-Discontinued-/272269123813?hash=item3f648120e5:g:KhIAAOSwuhhXWXPA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PACHMAYR-SIGNATURE-RUBBER-GRIPS-FOR-BROWNING-HI-POWER-/112320773000?hash=item1a26d6fb88:g:gvMAAOSwAYtWJmHY

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Pics with Navidrex grips

She's one badass lookin' pistol now, and I love the feel of the Navidrex grips! Thanks Burgs and eo1bart for the lead info. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Jim's1911C,

There's been a lot of photos floating around on this thread, so I had to double check, but Kopazzz's Hi Power is a Practical.

Practicals have epoxy slides over hard chromed frames, whilst the Silver Chromes have hard chromed slides and frames and gold triggers.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Jim's1911C,

There's been a lot of photos floating around on this thread, so I had to double check, but Kopazzz's Hi Power is a Practical.

Practicals have epoxy slides over hard chromed frames, whilst the Silver Chromes have hard chromed slides and frames and gold triggers.
Burgs,
I have two BHP's, one a Practical model and one a T series standard in blue. The one shown at the beginning of the thread is the Practical, the one at the end of the thread is the T series.
- Kopazzz

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Kopazz,

I'm with you. I think that Jim thinks it's a Silver Chrome, unless he means Joe Rock's or Bugaboo's pistols by mistake.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Kopazz,

I'm with you. I think that Jim thinks it's a Silver Chrome, unless he means Joe Rock's or Bugaboo's pistols my mistake.
No problem; I do appreciate all the information you provide on the forum.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Navidrex also makes a thin Teak wood grip. It looks pretty nondescript when you first look at it, but a couple of thick applications of boiled linseed oil on both sides (each coat allowed to sit for a few days to be absorbed) produced some very nice looking stocks...

FWIW

Chuck
Gonna look into that, though I love the black on black "black beauty" look, i love the contrast as well. Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
One comment on searching eBay or Amazon, or any other search engine for that matter. Search using the spellings "Hi Power" and "High Power". Sometimes it makes quite a difference as to what products get displayed.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts