1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that the reset speed is faster on a standard 3 hole trigger verses a standard solid trigger on Baers. I'm under the impression it has something to do with the shape of the bow at rear of trigger. I also am under the belief that the average shooter would have a hard time telling the difference, but I'm still curious. Can anyone shed some light on the difference that I thought was purely cosmetic?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hey Sigquick,
Good question. My memory bank, defective though it is, seems to recall that the primary purpose of an aluminum trigger, versus the older all steel versions, had more to do with "trigger bounce" on very light, target or competition triggers. A steel trigger has enough inertia to actually, so the belief goes, bounce back at reset and set the pistol off again. I've never seen this happen and have had some really nice triggers fitted with steel, but offer the above for what it's worth. By the way, I have been told by smiths that were working on my pistols that there's no difference between the drilled out three hole triggers and a solid aluminum trigger. Guess we'll see what the guys have to say.
Take care

·
Registered
946 Posts
My experience here is somewhat limited here but I'll throw in my two cents worth.... My Randall came with a short steel trigger that I had no issues with for 30 odd years other than I thought that the reach was a tad short for the size of my xx-large hands/fingers. Thinking that a 3-hole long reach trigger would be more comfy and thusly more accurate I fitted one and on first trip to the range I was experiencing unexpected "double taps" due to the new extended reach to the trigger. It did not take me long to relearn what to do or what not to do.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
in theory a lighter trigger would reset faster from a given equal sear spring tension but i would think the 'properness' of fit of the trigger would have a bigger impact. how well does it slide in the channel etc...

it makes sense in principle.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
in theory a lighter trigger would reset faster from a given equal sear spring tension but i would think the 'properness' of fit of the trigger would have a bigger impact. how well does it slide in the channel etc...

it makes sense in principle.
I agree.. In principle (Holiday Express, etc.) a lighter trigger will reset faster that a heavier trigger with equal friction factors. IMO.. Ron

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Keep in mind that "solid" aluminum triggers are in fact typically hollowed out on the inside, so the weight difference between them and a 3 hole trigger is going to be close to nil.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I doubt my finger could tell whether I was shooting a solid or 3-hole trigger. But I suppose for competitors at the razor's edge, every advantage, no matter how small, is embraced.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hey Gunbugbit,
I think you nailed it. Every advantage possible, including a skelotonized hammer to speed up lock time, titanium components, and of course the unweildy compensated barrels. Doesn't always make those components the best for our carry pieces, though.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
When shooting a 1911 .38 super with a muzzle velocity over 1,275 fps, an expansion chamber compensator can be very effective to reduce muzzle jump. Before I began building my own 1911 and STI 2011 guns, I had a custom gun made by a gunsmith with the intent of having a short compensator on the barrel to reduce muzzle jump and allow faster sight acquisition when shooting fast controlled pairs..... This is a concealed carry 1911. The short expansion chamber comp added about 3/4" to the slide, so I had the gunsmith use a 4.25" Commander length slide, making the overall length of the slide just a tad under the length of a 5" 1911 slide. The muzzle jump from shooting hot .38 super loads was significantly reduced, which allowed much faster sight acquisition when shooting fast controlled pairs. I now build my own competition guns, and for USPSA competition, I purchased a new .355" STI Tru Bor barrel that came short chambered. The STI barrel has an integral three baffle compensator.....the barrel and comp is machined from one steel billet. I used a Dave Manson reamer on the chamber to shoot 9mm loads (9mm Major) and the gun has very little muzzle lift when firing fast in USPSA.....

·
Registered
198 Posts
When shooting a 1911 .38 super with a muzzle velocity over 1,275 fps, an expansion chamber compensator can be very effective to reduce muzzle jump. Before I began building my own 1911 and STI 2011 guns, I had a custom gun made by a gunsmith with the intent of having a short compensator on the barrel to reduce muzzle jump and allow faster sight acquisition when shooting fast controlled pairs..... This is a concealed carry 1911. The short expansion chamber comp added about 3/4" to the slide, so I had the gunsmith use a 4.25" Commander length slide, making the overall length of the slide just a tad under the length of a 5" 1911 slide. The muzzle jump from shooting hot .38 super loads was significantly reduced, which allowed much faster sight acquisition when shooting fast controlled pairs. I now build my own competition guns, and for USPSA competition, I purchased a new .355" STI Tru Bor barrel that came short chambered. The STI barrel has an integral three baffle compensator.....the barrel and comp is machined from one steel billet. I used a Dave Manson reamer on the chamber to shoot 9mm loads (9mm Major) and the gun has very little muzzle lift when firing fast in USPSA.....
good info rwe.. i am sure you noticed that that this is an old thread? again, great info from you! best, james

·
Super Moderator
14,975 Posts
10 year old thread, topic was about solid versus 3 hole trigger reset differences. although great info about compensated barrels in the necro post, thread closed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.