1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reload on a single stage press using the Lee speed die set.After completeing the round I use the factory crimp die which also resizes the round to a small degree.My question is do I need to run the brass through the resizing ring if I am loading new unfired brass.The reason I ask is I have always used fired brass for reloading.Thanks.

·
Registered
697 Posts
barswaygo,

Often the case mouth on new brass is deformed to some degree and should be sized before loading. However, if there is no deformation and you are using Lee's Factory Crimp Die, then I would think you could get away without this extra step. The thing to do would be to load one round and check it for fit in the chamber of the firearm it's going to be used in.

Oh, one last thing. Sometimes there isn't a flash hole (or the hole is incompletely formed) in the new brass and that should be checked before loading.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I have never resized what little new brass I've used. I suppose I could have - maybe even should have - but I bell the mouths and let it go at that. (I've never encountered a missing flash hole, but the way I handle brass with my single stage press, I would notice if there were one.)

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Measure the cases and act accordingly. The bell will take care of any mouth distortion.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.The main reason I thought I would try new brass is to save a little work on the sizing and depriming.I'm getting low on .45 brass and instead of buying some fired brass I figured to spend a little more and save some time.One of these days I'll get one of them new fangled progressive loaders.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maybe I go a little overboard, but I resize, trim, chamfer and segregate by weight. I think that the trim is the most important part for accuracy. It keeps the lock time and crimp consistent.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I'm not real particular about which brass I use, but I clean all of it and get back to loading. On those rare occassions that I have had some new unfired brass to work with it went thru the same process as the old multi loaded stuff. Clean, load and shoot.

At normal handgun velocities brass doesnt stretch very much, and I dont trim mine.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts