275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to become a Moderator...

What are the requirements?

Thanks and Happy Shooting, Thunder25

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. You just see that the rules of the forum are observed. Occassionally, someone has a legitimate question, but it's in the wrong spot. You might move the thread to the correct forum and such as that.

If you spot someone purposely attacking others personally, you have a number of options including the posts being completely removed and requesting that that person be removed from the forum...if bad enough.

Most of the time, you just see how things are going and offer answers like everyone else.

Best.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think Thunder's asking how does he become one instead of what the duties are. To that end, Thunder, I believe it's by invitation only.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm a Newbie here but a Moderator on another site (not gun related) so i may be able to give you some insight but of course not the requirements for this site.

From what i've seen...
A Forum usually doesn't look for Moderators unless their is a need for more of them. When theirs a need they look to the members And to others they know who fill their requirements.

How much Experience they have.
How Accurate their information is.
How much they Contribute to helping others.
How well they Interact with other members.
How well they Convey their knowledge.
How Objective they are.
How Opinionated they are.
How Dedicated they are to the goals of the site, its Members...
Their Attitude.
Etc.

Theirs No Check List but many of these things get considered, even if only subconciously.
Lucky for me spelling, grammer and punctuation isn't a factor on my site.

And you start to think of the site as My Site rather than The XXX Forum.

Being a Mod probably isn't what you think it is. Yes it carries some prestige, but it also makes you Responcable for everything you post. Members tend to take Everything you say more seriously so you need to think your post through more carefully. You'll probably be spending much more time on the site, cutting into your other activities. I spend three or more times as much time on the site I Mod as i used to as a Member. I check it in the mourning before i go to work, as soon as i get in from work, a couple of times through the night and before I go to bed. Of course this isn't a requirement, but I feel it helps the Forum(s) that I mod as well as the other forums at that site which i don't.

In Essence, being a Mod is kind of like being Demoted to Butler in your Approach to the site, but with a title thats looked up to. You Serve the site and its members. Your presence is Needed for Others Continued Enjoyment. But of course as a Mod you get to join in the party!

And the Only Pay Back you'll most likely ever get is in the Enjoyment of Helping Others.

My 2 cents.

mike

[This message has been edited by GunRunner (edited 11-12-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Mike is pretty much right on the money here.

Generally speaking, the staff keeps an informal short list of members who have established a positive history of participation, and who may have something more to contribute if afforded the opportunity. These folks are often sent an invitation to moderate when we have vacancies. In case you've ever wondered what goes on in the Moderators Only board, keeping track of this is a significant part of what we do there. So, while it's not exactly a "don't call us, we'll call you" approach, that is probably how it looks to the rank and file much of the time.

The best way to land yourself a seat at the table is to make a habit of regularly contributing balanced, informative and accurate posts that add something meaningful to the board. We're always looking for new talent, and sooner or later, we'll find you. You can be sure of it.

Chuck

·
Registered
247 Posts
And you start to think of the site as My Site rather than The XXX Forum.
You are a moderator of a XXX Forum??!?! Cool.. Can you get us free passwords?

How the hell did I get here, then??!!
Volume... Sheer Volume..

------------------
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

Don't be afraid of the Truth

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a question on the same lines, I am new to this forum because I left 2 other forums because the moderators were hostile or not fair to individuals, are the moderators here moderated?

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
The Moderators here are moderated. By themselves and each other.

This particular group of moderators does a tremendously good job of moderating. I am quite honored to be counted amongst them. On this site, rarely if ever will you read of a Moderator becoming abusive towards Members. They wouldn't be Moderators if they did.

Hang around awhile, relax and enjoy the company and tell me if I'm wrong...

·
Registered
21 Posts
The question about the moderators watching each other was interesting. Recently I got into a dust up with James P and the topic (Kimber Warranty) was locked. This was due to our different expierences with the 1911.

I would like to state that this moderator DID NOT handle his response(s) or duties in a professional manner. His statemnets to me were very insulting, both in their manner and presentation.

I sent a copy of the topic to numerious individuals thru out the country, who are fully familiar with the 1911, for their review. What I got back was total agreement to my statements and questions of James P training and logic.

If this flames anyone, tuff. I don't care for misinformation anymore than the next guy but facts and expierence are reality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts