1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
On me I carry an old pair of Smith & Wessons that I inherited from my Dad. In the trunk, a small bag of various brands collected over the years as well as belly chains, anklets, and plexi-cuffs.

·
Registered
570 Posts
i carry two pair on my belt: peerless i bought, smith's that were issued.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I carry two sets of peerless chain cuffs. The first I was issued and the second I had to buy. I figured i'd just get the same for consistency.

later,
AJ

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Peerless thumb cuffs. Those were the good old days! :p

·
Registered
283 Posts
Oh Yea AZ, thumb cuffs.........those WERE the days.:D Just the words "thumb cuffs" makes me smile and remember the good ol' days. When criminals were criminals and were treated as such. Not like now days....................oh, man don't get me started. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I like Peerless the best, and that's what I carry on the belt. I keep a pair of S&W oversized cuffs for the big folks in my war bag.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I carried (still have them in my "official" vehicle though I rarely use them anymore!) 2 sets of hinged: Peerless (for the larger people) and Hiatt lightweights (for smaller people, women & juveniles) and S&W chain cuffs...along with several pairs of the flexi cuffs.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I tried S&W, Peerless, and Heinie(?). The S&W ones I noticed had a pretty poor finish and rushed quickly, even with nickle plating. Their rivets I also noticed were not quite as nicely finished and fitted as Peerless. The H-brand(whatever the name was, can't remember off the top of my head) was alright, but they seemed a bit smaller than other standard cuffs, though their ultralite cuffs are nice for OD carry.

Overall, I carry/use peerless. Mostly for play, but sometimes when things get out of hand at parties and what not. They've held up quite well to rough use.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here come the flames...

You are correct, Sir. My mistake.

I meant no offense. Perhaps I should have simply thanked the man for his THOUGHTFUL response...

Good day to you, Sir!
Garry

·
Registered
921 Posts
Welcome, I generally assume if someone is asking what I carry... why I carry it is also a suitable part to the answer.

It generally seems to save questions in the long run.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
In today's cop circles, what you carry is decided for you. :mad:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
AZ Husker said:
In today's cop circles, what you carry is decided for you. :mad:
You forgot to add that that decision is most often made by those LEAST qualified to make the deicision!

later,
AJ

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't mean to intrude on this issue, as I havn't worked the road for over a year, but I have a question for those of you who carry hinged cuffs.
I was just wondering if any of you guys have actually had to wrestle a hostile drunken subject into a pair of those things....especially if the BG is bigger than you, and you are making the arrest on your own?
As I said...I don't mean to flame anyone here, but when I was a LEO, I worked 7pm-7am in a small town where there was little more than several bars on Main St. that had a notoriously rough reputation. I worked this shift entirely alone, except on the rare occasion that a County deputy was in the area to assist on a call.
I had one experience with hinged cuffs that really changed my mind about their practical use. They were absolutely impossible to position onto the dirtbags' wrists, and in a bar where the patrons were very hostile towards the police, I would have prefered to have gotten this particular situation under control much faster.
All turned out well, but I immediately replaced my hinged cuffs with Peerless traditional chained cuffs, and would advise anyone who will listen to think carefully about the potential problems associated with these types of restraints.
Just my $0.02

·
Registered
193 Posts
DW

Yes thats why i use hinged. Get one cuff on, use the rest of the entire cuff to gain control of BG (even slipping baton through hole in the off cuff) gains tremendous pressure on the cuffed hand and assists in the take down the other hand can go when he is undercontrol. Now if you mean , have i run into folks too big to place their arms far enough back to fit, yes i have thats when two pairs of cuffs come into play. But i find i have far more control over the BG with hinged cuffs. If he wants to get froggy after the first cuff is on, then its his problem when i torque the cuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts