1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw a thread which was closed and the last poster reprimanded for reviving an old thread.

What the hell is that about?

If his comments were on topic for that thread, why in the world would he be trashed for it?

Maybe the moderater has been a member here for a long time and feels like he's finished with that topic, but that certainly doesn't apply to everyone. I personally just signed up today. I'd never seen the thread before and it was interesting to me. Never even looked at the dates, as it didn't matter.

I administer a site with a forum that has several thousand members, with several hundred being regularly active. We regularly have "Revive your favorite thread" days and bring old stuff back up to the top. Just makes sense to me to let your user base talk about what they want if they're using the right threads and forums to do it in.

D

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Replying to an old thread does not always make sense. The original poster is most likely not even aware that someone is replying to a post made months (or years) ago.

We prefer our topics to stay current. It is not a case of the Staff deciding when a thread should die - that happens all by itself. We simply ask that it not be revived. Many times, we find that people who ressurect old threads do so simply to argue a point made by someone that posted quite some time ago.

Please abide by our rules. Start a new thread if an old topic needs further discussion.

Please note that the Staff here does not appreciate new members who join simply to criticize how we do things here. Your stay can be enjoyable, or it can be short - it's your choice. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Old threads- sometimes goodies

Another thought-
Sometimes people like to look at or post pictures of their favorite guns "Let's see your pictures of your Humbolt 45's" and these threads may drag on for a couple of years, yet still be fun to look at or add pics of new acquisitions to. Can we not make an exception in this case?

·
Banned
324 Posts
I believe I was the guilty party in that one, as far as being the revivalist. I really did not notice the date on the last post being about a year old. I ran a topic search and then posted in a thread, simple as that.

My post was a pretty harsh slam against S&W due to the company climbing in the sack with Clinton, Inc. and I think this is what offended the moderator who reprimanded me.

·
Banned
324 Posts
sgist said:
Another thought-
Sometimes people like to look at or post pictures of their favorite guns "Let's see your pictures of your Humbolt 45's" and these threads may drag on for a couple of years, yet still be fun to look at or add pics of new acquisitions to. Can we not make an exception in this case?

That exception to the unwritten "rule" against reviving a thread is alive and well as we speak.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Picture threads are different.

People that post to months-old (or more) threads typically don't even look at the dates, and assume that the posts that they are replying to are current and timely. Or - the other option as I suggested above - is that some want to stir up a long-dead arguement or disagreement.

Again, our general policy (and one that works quite well), is that old threads expired for a reason and we don't like to disturb the dead around here.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think if the thread gets nasty enough to be locked, then so be it. But if not, then why lock it simply because it's old? If someone wants to revive an argument and it doesn't get out of hand, who cares.
I've found here that the Staff applies the rules according to their current mood.
For instance, some grievances are left up, and some are locked using the "no grievances policy"
Mods and Staff of all the forums I've ever been on have thier own views and interpret the "rules" as they see fit.
It's the nature of the beast I suppose... :biglaugh:

·
Banned
324 Posts
It seems as if there are no rules in the legal and political forum. Personal attacks are the norm in them there parts, even obscenity is tolerated. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
127 Posts
You have alluded to an important point. There is an unspoken rule which should perhaps be spoken now- Gentlemen (and ladies) in the old sense of kindness,manners and gentility are welcome on these forums. Brawlers and brutes are not.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
rdennis said:
It seems as if there are no rules in the legal and political forum. Personal attacks are the norm in them there parts, even obscenity is tolerated. :biglaugh:
We do not police ALL threads 24/7. Every post has the option of being reported to the Staff here, should you see something against the rules and spirit of this site. We also rely on the good membership to moderate themselves, as well.

M

·
0 Posts
sgist said:
Another thought-
I believe if you look there are plenty of picture posts on this site that have ran for a very long time and are still open to post to.

Old threads that we close are those that have served their purpose. If someone ased a question in 2003 about where can I get a holster for my new blaster and a answer to that question was posted today it wouldn't make much sense to do so..

M

·
0 Posts
rdennis said:
I have an answer for this as well. I was taught a long time ago that the best way to avoid an argument was to avoid discussions concerning ones political views and religious orientatons. The same holds true on this board in the L and P section. If what goes on in there insults you, don't go there. We try to keep the ruckus in that section of the board down to a low roar. But the bottom line is there are always going to be emotions displayed in that section of the board.

M

·
0 Posts
DougHillman said:
Just saw a thread which was closed and the last poster reprimanded for reviving an old thread.

What the hell is that about?

If his comments were on topic for that thread, why in the world would he be trashed for it?

Maybe the moderater has been a member here for a long time and feels like he's finished with that topic, but that certainly doesn't apply to everyone. I personally just signed up today. I'd never seen the thread before and it was interesting to me. Never even looked at the dates, as it didn't matter.

I administer a site with a forum that has several thousand members, with several hundred being regularly active. We regularly have "Revive your favorite thread" days and bring old stuff back up to the top. Just makes sense to me to let your user base talk about what they want if they're using the right threads and forums to do it in.

D

We are blessed to have such an expert as yourself explain the error of our ways. I think today might be a perfect day to start. :biglaugh:

·
Banned
324 Posts
MarkW said:
I have an answer for this as well. I was taught a long time ago that the best way to avoid an argument was to avoid discussions concerning ones political views and religious orientatons. The same holds true on this board in the L and P section. If what goes on in there insults you, don't go there. We try to keep the ruckus in that section of the board down to a low roar. But the bottom line is there are always going to be emotions displayed in that section of the board.

No, it certainly doesn't insult me. In fact, I thrive on it. :cool:

I am as guilty as the next person of dropping ordnance in that forum, but I have to say that it was usually (if not always) in response to a personal attack directed at me by a fellow member. I won't name names, but there are one or two standouts that come to mind. :biglaugh:

With all due respect, it seems as if it is "anything goes" in that forum. ALL the time.

·
Banned
324 Posts
MarkW said:
If someone ased a question in 2003 about where can I get a holster for my new blaster and a answer to that question was posted today it wouldn't make much sense to do so.

Of course not, but your example does not encompass the the full spectrum of non time sensitive posts that have been closed due to being "old."

M

·
0 Posts
rdennis said:
Of course not, but your example does not encompass the the full spectrum of non time sensitive posts that have been closed due to being "old."
No it doesn't, I don't have the time or energy to post each and every scenario. Nor do we wish to even try.

That said, the info I posted should give everyone an idea of when a thread will be locked if resurrected.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.