1911Forum banner

Retailers and their advertising

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  ociebell 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
We have several retail businesses that post their specials in the forums. Some consider it spamming. Our question is, does this bother you? If you do not want to post your reply, you can privately email me with your input.

#4 ·
Originally posted by K-9:
I like the advertising. However,I feel it should be in it's own forum. Thanks.
Son,

I agree with K-9. Why not create a separate forum for each of the reputable retailers to use as their home here, and perhaps a Misc. Advertisements forum for those who have not yet earned the privilege of their own forum? Then perhaps some of these good folk, such as Ammoman, would feel more at ease in posting some of their unbeatable deals. This would also allow us to look for those super buys more directly.

There's only one advertiser here who's beginning to annoy me. Sudden posts about a "gadzillion patches for $79.95" or a canned manufacturer's blurb about Butch's Bore Shine (which I'm a big fan of), posted out of the blue. Not very tactful IMHO.

First suggestion: The Ammoman Forum!

Just my $0.02 Son,

Mark

#10 ·
I like James P's suggestions. I would really like to keep the "pro's" advertising out of the informational forums.

However, we will have to guard against the forum being a free "SHOT GUN NEWS" for those companies that become members.
------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

One of these times I'll get this right.

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited 02-21-2001).]

#12 ·
I agree, nobody is out of control at this point, and I can't remember a situation where any of the current sellers have not been professional.

I think it would be wise to prepare and hope for some growth on the board especially if we open it back up to "For Sale" ads. I think separating Retailers and Individuals is logical if we anticipate a good number of posts. To disect it more than that may be overkill.

In any case, I am looking forward to doing some shopping here again.

#13 ·
As a retailer myself, although not of gun related items, I would feel uncomfortable advertising in the regular forums, but might post an ad in a retailer forum if I thought I had an item that would be of interest to the members.
I don't think the retailers would get carried away either.

#14 ·
I agree that those retailers who post here have been professional in their ads and have made them short and concise. However, we want to have some type of rules in place for the time we have umpteen members (as we hope) to regulate what is offered and the size of the ads.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

#15 ·
I pretty much feel the same as the others. Currently, I am not bothered at all by the occasional short ads. When we did have the For Sale forum, I always checked it out, and the Hot Deals portion got a lot of my attention. Something for the retailers (when we do get it back) is just the ticket.

------------------
MT Shooter
-Born to hunt

#16 ·
I think we're all pretty much on the same sheet of music. I've never objected to short listings for specials on cleaning brushes or closeouts on .45 range ammo, but I'm not too interested in case lots of SKS grenade launching adapters or velvet paintings of Jeff Cooper. Of course, completely off topic listings for things like cable descramblers and advanced university degrees are a total nuisance no matter where they pop up.

As long as the merchandise in question is relevant to our collective interests, it is appropriate -- even desireable -- that we have a place to list these things. Separate forums like those already mentioned would be terrific.

For what it's worth, I realize that the old FOR SALE board presented some problems with respect to firearms listings, but I still miss it.

Chuck

#18 ·
I wouldn't have any problem at all with vendor offerings; as long as the site owners get a cut in all profits, ensuring that the the people who run it are making enough money to cover any costs associated with operating 1911.com.

[This message has been edited by traevin (edited 03-05-2001).]

#19 ·
As a former sales manager for a store owned by a large retail corporation, I can tell you that customer service starts with customer feedback. I think it would be a good idea if the Forum administrators can devise a means to allow,(if not actively solicit)the direct participation by all retailers who provide any product that is related to the 1911-type pistol. The companies who care will participate. The companies who can't be bothered will become obvious by their absence. As a group, Forum users will benefit by seeing the personality of the people who make the things we buy. Maybe, just maybe, the idea that a good guy, making a sound product, will benefit from being nice enough to take the time to talk with the customers. At the least, if each interested company assigns someone to monitor a segment and respond to any post that is related to their line of products, we will have established a direct feed to the companies that we want to be the best they can be.

Just my $.02 worth.

------------------
MDCalvert
Oak Ridge, TN

#20 ·
Maybe it's a bad idea but the way this forum has grown I think it needs a commercial section that costs money to advertise in. This site has the potential make some of the major gunrags sit up and take notice. Then again money can screw alot of things up too so it's just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.