·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like Massad Ayoob. I think we can learn alot from him. Now for the
profanity . . . BUT, sometimes he gets my goat. I saw him on Defense
TV last week giving a big pitch for retention holsters. As in you're a
real duffous if you don't use one. He was modeling one which had a
small, single release paddle on the outside of the OWB holster.

What got me is he talked like civilians carrying concealed are made ALL
the time, and naturally when they are made, bad people come over and
snatch the gun. Hence you need a retention holder.

The scenario he presented was preposterous. If I didn't know he was
a cop, I'd think he was marketing director for some company that makes
retention holsters.

For police carrying openly, a retention holster makes sense. But for civilian
CCW, it seems GOOFY. Am I missing something here?

Joe

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I've been carrying concealed for 30 years, and have always enjoyed reading Ayoob's writings, but consider himself a self centered boob. He brags about being an LEO, but most of his time was a reserve or volunteer. He condones carrying a 1911 hammer down on a live chamber, and has never shown me any tactical improvements over what I already know. To me, he's a Guns & Ammo whore who gets paid for whatever they want him to say.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
self-centered vs opinionated based on experiences

Whilst I do not agree with Mr. A on every matter, I've found him to be more right than wrong.

I know his boss, too.....

And, right or wrong, Mr. A is without question NOT a whore.
IMO his integrity is above reproach.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
forgot to post about this thread LOL

Who (else) here has kicked their dropped pistol across the Post Office floor? (or similar oopsie?)

A nice thumb-break holster ain't, IMNSHO&E, such a bad idea......

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Ayoob is not correct if he thinks that the CCW holder needs a retention holster.
A correctly fitted holster by a top maker will hold the gun tight enough to do anything you want to do. If you read some posts it is evident that many new holsters hold the gun so tightly that it makes the draw very difficult.

Ayoob has a lot of knowledge, but also wants something new to write about. This one is just nonsense.
He hurts his credibility when he writes such thing as posted by the OP. In addition, I dispute the statements that CHL holders get made a lot.

As for profanity, I would not take a course from him if he paid me, and have to listen to profanity.
I am in at least partial agreement with AZ Husker. Ayoob is not short on pride.

Jerry

·
Registered
304 Posts
My back ground in as an LEO and I have to say that a holster w/ a retention device for both on and off duty makes sence to me. What I worry about is even with a top of the line holster it will strech out over time and there then becomes a chance of it falling out or being taken if I have to get into a shoving match. I get all my off duty holsters with a thumb break or for my 1911 I use a Blackhawk CQC. I think with practice it is not that much slower then ones with out a break.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
We all have to work out our own salvation. If it makes one feel better to have a retention strap, get one.

In 30 years of carrying, I've never had a gun fall out of a non-strapped holster yet.

Probably will tomorrow :eek:

·
Registered
569 Posts
AZHusker, where have you ever read Ayoob condoning carrying a 1911 in that particular manner? I've never seen that in his past writings.

I have to admit, his Ayoob Files series of articles have always been an interesting read, and while he does have the tendency to over analyze things you certainly can't say the guy isn't prepared!

One other thing in support of him (take note, I'm no Ayoob worshipper) anyone who will be your professional witness pro bono at a shooting incident case rates high in my book. Of course, this is only after you've taken one of his LFI courses, but still :rock:.

All in all, I try to take a bit from everyone and add to the bag of tricks.

EricO

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
potty-mouth

I admit that none of my (current) concealment holsters have a thumb-break or other retention device....
And I fully expect that the high-quality holsters I use WILL secure my guns.

Even my Redhawks....

(thank you Milt Sparks, Inc.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts