1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent my SA Combat SS back to SA, they should get it today. Question is, do they go over the whole pistol while they have it or just fix what I complained about?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
well that depends.

if your complaint is cosmetic, they may not re check the entire gun.

if your having a function issue that you arent sure what is, they may check it out in more detail..

one thing about sending it back to the factory, if i ever have too, im going to go over the gun with a
"fine tooth comb" and list anything i can find that needs done. ill put a note in the box with the list, and make sure
they know to contact me before doing anything that i will have to pay for. that way there is no confusion, they wont
think im giving them a blind "ok" to just fix everything and bill me..

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
200 Posts
well that depends.

if your complaint is cosmetic, they may not re check the entire gun.

if your having a function issue that you arent sure what is, they may check it out in more detail..

one thing about sending it back to the factory, if i ever have too, im going to go over the gun with a
"fine tooth comb" and list anything i can find that needs done. ill put a note in the box with the list, and make sure
they know to contact me before doing anything that i will have to pay for. that way there is no confusion, they wont
think im giving them a blind "ok" to just fix everything and bill me..

russel
SDMF
This is excellent advice. I will only add that in my experience sending a few guns back to SA was that they addressed fully and well what I asked them to, but did not look for other issues. This resulted in one gun going back twice. IMO this is understandable considering how much work they have coming through the shop. In the future I will include a note asking for test fire and function check on top of a detailed list.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Mine first!

My Mil Spec just got there today as well. I included a note asking them to test fire the weapon and check the alignment of the sights (front post is crooked and rear is off center:bawling:). I also included a question asking them to check the trigger which seems to be overly stiff and gritty. I hope I don't get billed for extra work. Does that happen often?

·
Registered
398 Posts
My Mil Spec just got there today as well. I included a note asking them to test fire the weapon and check the alignment of the sights (front post is crooked and rear is off center:bawling:). I also included a question asking them to check the trigger which seems to be overly stiff and gritty. I hope I don't get billed for extra work. Does that happen often?
I would think not. SA has great customer service.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just got my Mil Spec bacl from SA today. I sent it in because the plunger tube needed to be restaked and the barrel was pretty much shot out.

SA replaced the barrel, bushing, slide, sights (I guess that goes with the slide replacement), plunger tube, trigger, sear, and sear spring. The slide to frame fit is incredibly tight, but it feels like its on rails.

Its like getting a brand new gun back! No charge for any of the work!

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I just got my Mil Spec bacl from SA today. I sent it in because the plunger tube needed to be restaked and the barrel was pretty much shot out.

SA replaced the barrel, bushing, slide, sights (I guess that goes with the slide replacement), plunger tube, trigger, sear, and sear spring. The slide to frame fit is incredibly tight, but it feels like its on rails.

Wow! Did they pick up the shipping both ways also?

It simply boggles my diminutive little mind how they can afford to keep doing this kind of stuff unless their cost to manufacture and assemble a Mil-Spec or Loaded is like $50.

With the amount of work they did, I wonder if it would have been easier for them to just send you a new pistol and and a few extra mags or something to cover the transfer fee.

·
Registered
647 Posts
They might do extra stuff.

I can't prove it, but I'd swear that when I sent my Loaded back for a refinishing, it also got a trigger job when it was there. Before it left, there was a bit of creep but it was still just fine. When it returned, most of the creep was gone and it now breaks like the proverbial glass rod, and might even be a half pound or so lighter. Comparing any other gun to that trigger is an exercise in futility; it is simply fantastic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow! Did they pick up the shipping both ways also?

It simply boggles my diminutive little mind how they can afford to keep doing this kind of stuff unless their cost to manufacture and assemble a Mil-Spec or Loaded is like $50.

With the amount of work they did, I wonder if it would have been easier for them to just send you a new pistol and and a few extra mags or something to cover the transfer fee.
I paid for shipping there, they picked up shipping on the way back. I also think that if I pushed it, they would have paid me back for my shipping charges. I'm not going to, I feel like they went above and beyond the warranty on this job.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
As a manufacturer, they most likely WILL inspect the entire pistol to ensure it's safety. Should anything happen to you after you recieve the gun from them, that would leave them open to legal claims.

They do pretty much as Beretta does. I purchased a well used, police trade in 92FS with trijicon sights, the exterior looked like a major battlefield, but it didn't look like it had fired many rounds, I sent it in to Beretta to ensure it was safe to fire and handle. When I got it back, Beretta had not only fixed minor dings in the frame, but replaced all internal parts, no charge. On the reciept it stated they removed old parts and replaced with new to comply with safety standards.

Now THATS great service.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Stories like this sell people like me (fence-sitters) on Springfield vs. Colt or Kimber.

BTW, most guns are safe queens to the number of guns returned to Springfield like this is probably a small percentage of total sales. If a gun malfunctions in the first 2,000 rounds it SHOULD be serviced by the manufacturer for free.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Stories like this sell people like me (fence-sitters) on Springfield vs. Colt or Kimber.

BTW, most guns are safe queens to the number of guns returned to Springfield like this is probably a small percentage of total sales. If a gun malfunctions in the first 2,000 rounds it SHOULD be serviced by the manufacturer for free.

Well in my case, the gun went for 30,000 rounds before it needed to be serviced! :rock:

I took it to the range today and put 300 rounds through it without any problems at all. The gun is more accurate now then when I bought it. It shoots 2" groups at 25yards, not bad for a $500 gun!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked UPS tracking and, SA received my pistol on Tues. at 10:00 A.M. Let's see how long the turn around is. Any takers? How many days do you think?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I checked UPS tracking and, SA received my pistol on Tues. at 10:00 A.M. Let's see how long the turn around is. Any takers? How many days do you think?
I sent mine in on the 10th of December and got it back on the 9th of January. The work was finished just before Christmas, but they couldn't get out to the range to test it until after the holidays. It was worth the wait, here is a pic of the test target that came back with it:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I sent my EMP in on the 3rd and yesterday Debbie (SA) said it should be at my door today the 11th. Much quicker than I expected. I put detailed notes in the case when I sent it so we'll see what's what when I get it back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts